Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Questions: 'Customer-named snapshots and volumes’ and ‘new-volume-being-created-every-backup’

viana

Hi.

Petrobras currently uses DFM only to manage OSSV and SV backups.

They are about to start implementing Protection Manager and the Service Provider ‘Columbia Storage’ have some questions about it.

First question maybe addressed on Isis.

I’ve seen the project wiki page regarding the ‘Customer-named snapshots and volumes’ and I would like to know if this feature will be available on 3.8.

The other thing is regarding the ‘new-volume-being-created-every-backup’ feature. Is it optional? Can it be bypassed?

Thanks!

Patricia Viana– PaTiTa

Technical Global Advisor – Brazil

+55 (21) 2546-9922        Direct

+55 (21) 8100-9753        Mobile

patita@netapp.com        Email

1 REPLY 1

rshiva

Hi Patricia,

My responses are in-line:

I’ve seen the project wiki page regarding the ‘Customer-named snapshots and volumes’ and I would like to know if this feature will be available on 3.8.

Yes, this feature is available in 3.8. You can specify the prefix to volumes, qtrees and snapshots

The other thing is regarding the ‘new-volume-being-created-every-backup’ feature. Is it optional? Can it be bypassed?

As far as I know, a volume will be created on the secondary when a backup relationship is created. The subsequent backups do not create a new volume. As a matter of fact, in 3.8 we have a new option "dpDynamicSecondarySizing" which automaticaly resizes the secondary volumes.

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

Public