Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Quick query - Do you need to select resource type when adding an alert in OCUM 6.x

SAN-NAS

Hi,

Do you need to select resource type when adding an alert in OCUM 6.x. In am told you can set an alert based on either resource type or by selecting event type. Is that correct ?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mbeattie

Hi,

I've tested this for you on OCUM 7.1P2 GA

Its possible to create an OCUM alarm and configure it to apply to either a resource type (EG cluster, node, vserver etc) or by event status (Critical, Error, Warning).

As you'll see in the image below the alarm has no resource type configured, it applies to "all critical events".

ocum_alarms.png

I tested this configuration works by assigning a one liner powershell script to the alarm:

$Args[1] | Out-File -FilePath $($(Split-Path($MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path)) + "\" + $((Get-Date).ToString("yyyy_MM_dd_HH_mm_ss_fff")) + "_event_id_" + $Args[1] + ".log")

Note: All this does is create a file by date time and event ID number in the scripts working directory (Where you upload the alarm script to)

The default location for the alarm scripts is "C:\Program Files\NetApp\ocum\scriptPlugin"

When testing the alarm (by admin failing a disk on a simulator) it generates the following events:

ocum_events.png

I configure 3 alarms (one for critical, error and warning event types). To verify if the alarm script created a file for each event associated with the alarms i checked that 3 files were created.

C:\Program Files\NetApp\ocum\scriptPlugin>dir /b | find /i "2017_07_03_09"
2017_07_03_09_39_55_053_event_id_18.log
2017_07_03_09_40_16_136_event_id_19.log
2017_07_03_09_40_16_167_event_id_20.log

So to summarize you, when configuring OCUM alarms you can:

• Create generic alarms to filter events by status
  • Create specific alarms to filter events by resource type

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mbeattie

Hi,

I've tested this for you on OCUM 7.1P2 GA

Its possible to create an OCUM alarm and configure it to apply to either a resource type (EG cluster, node, vserver etc) or by event status (Critical, Error, Warning).

As you'll see in the image below the alarm has no resource type configured, it applies to "all critical events".

ocum_alarms.png

I tested this configuration works by assigning a one liner powershell script to the alarm:

$Args[1] | Out-File -FilePath $($(Split-Path($MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path)) + "\" + $((Get-Date).ToString("yyyy_MM_dd_HH_mm_ss_fff")) + "_event_id_" + $Args[1] + ".log")

Note: All this does is create a file by date time and event ID number in the scripts working directory (Where you upload the alarm script to)

The default location for the alarm scripts is "C:\Program Files\NetApp\ocum\scriptPlugin"

When testing the alarm (by admin failing a disk on a simulator) it generates the following events:

ocum_events.png

I configure 3 alarms (one for critical, error and warning event types). To verify if the alarm script created a file for each event associated with the alarms i checked that 3 files were created.

C:\Program Files\NetApp\ocum\scriptPlugin>dir /b | find /i "2017_07_03_09"
2017_07_03_09_39_55_053_event_id_18.log
2017_07_03_09_40_16_136_event_id_19.log
2017_07_03_09_40_16_167_event_id_20.log

So to summarize you, when configuring OCUM alarms you can:

• Create generic alarms to filter events by status
  • Create specific alarms to filter events by resource type

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SAN-NAS

Thank you Matt for the quick response and for excellent details. I really appreciate it.

Public