Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

RBAC: Managing only(!) CIFS sessions via MMC?

KOOPMANSABU

Dear community,

I am looking for a way to enable a few AD users to manage (close) CIFS sessions and files, preferably via an MMC console. But I can't seem to find it!

Situation: FAS 3240, DOT 8.1.2 7-Mode, Windows 2003 AD domain.

I created a role and a group on the vfiler and assigned a domainuser to the group. However, no matter how many capabilities I assign to this new role (even ' * ' ! ), I keep getting the error "Error 5: Access denied" when I click either 'Sessions", "Shares", or "Open Files" in the MMC console (connected to the vfiler). If I assign the same domainuser to the group "Power Users", it works perfectly. But I don't want to give these users all capabilities that "Power Users" offers.

If I modify the "Power Users" group to assign only the role "None" to it, users in this group are still able to manage shares/sessions! So it doesn't seem to matter what role (and thus capabilities) are assigned to "Power Users". It still provides all the access!

It seems that the group "Power Users" has rights/capabilities that are obtained outside the default associated role "power".

I checked the Administration Guide for DOT 8.2.1, but it doesn't mention anything about these 'hidden' capabilities. It does state that the MMC console is only accessible to (domain)users in the "Administrators" group, but that doesn't seem to be true, since members of "Power Users" also have this ability.

More importanty (for me): I don't seem to be able to use custom groups for administrative purposes. It least in this speific case.

Anyone has any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichardSopp

Bjorn,

There is a WIN32 RPC capability hidden as part of the "Power Users" group.  This capability is outside of the role "power" and is embedded in the 'Power Users' group itself.

You can neither remove or add this hidden capability to the 'Power Users' group - it's just there.  This is one of the short comings of the RBAC implementation in 7-mode in my opinion.as it clutters storage infrastructure administration and data administrator roles.  Clustered ONTAP does a much better job of segregating these roles within a SVM albeit for you use case it currently does not support share/lock management via the MMC.

If you feel the role 'Power' gives too much in the way of privileges you could always modify the capabilities assigned to it to suit your needs BUT I would strongly recommend you test such changes in a non production environment first.  If I recall the default privileges for the "Power Users" group are - Allowed Capabilities: cli-cifs*,cli-exportfs*,cli-nfs*,cli-useradmin*,api-cifs-*,api-nfs-*,login-telnet,login-http-admin,login-rsh,login-ssh (which may vary by ONTAP release) which stretches way beyond the least privilege approach I would consider for simple CIFS share and lock management.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Public