Community

Subscribe
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Report on Protection Manager policy schedules for backups and replication

I am trying to report on protection policies backup and replication schedules and retention. Is there an easy way of doing this? I have tried dfpm command and operations manager report but not able to get what I want. There is a command "dfpm policy schedule" but it only works for application policies. I am using version 5.0.1.7864 (5.0.1). Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Re: Report on Protection Manager policy schedules for backups and replication

Hi Muhammad,

Unfortunately there is no canned report or catalog with this details. The easiest way to get this is via script using the dfpm policy schedule and connection cli.

Can you give me a temple report on what and how you want the report to be ? Is it just based on

• Each realtionship ?
  • Each Dataset ?
  • Each Protection Policy ?

If you can send us a simple report with column names and value that you are expecting then we can quickly get you a script plugin to generate this report. The same can later be scheduled, emailed and exported in various forms as well.

Regards

adai

Hi Adai,

Thank you for reply.

We have all windows based infrastructure so it will be good to get a power shell based script. Below is what I am looking for.

I also tried to get a report of all members of all DataSets. I know you can get members for one DS with "dfpm dataset list -m" but there is no command to get members of all dataset?

DatasetPolicyNodePrimary Backup SchedPrimary BP RetentionSV Backup schedSV BP retentionmirror sched
DS_CIFS_PROD_ENOM.Gold OnTap : Primary 00 Onsite Backup 05 Offsite Mirror 303Hourly = Every hour, starting 00:00Hourly = 1Day (24 BP)Every hour, starting 00:05Hourly = 1Day (24 BP)
Daily = 32Days (32 BP)
Every hour, starting 00:30

Many Thanks,

Muhammad

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the sample/ template of the report that you are looking for. But unfortunately we will not create it in powershell, instead in perl to make the script OS agnostic.

We will post a working script some time later mid next week.

Regards

adai

Hi adai,

this sounds exactly what I am after as well. Did you manage to produce a script for Muhammad?. If so, could you link me to it please. I'm new to navigating the community forum.

Many thanks.

Neil.

Hi Muhammad/ Neil Holmes,

Please find attached the Script Plugin with name: PM_Extractor.zip.

This script plugin should help you in extracting schedule and retention information related to all the datasets to which a policy has been assigned.

The final output will be a consolidated CSV file.

The instructions to install the script and to view the output are in a file inside the archive titled, ReadMe.doc.

Also, do note that it is a primitive version of the Script Plugin. If you find any errors, please do report it back to us and we will try to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Pavan

Edit: Updated ReadMe.doc in the ScriptPlugin.

Hi Muhammad & Niel,

The output would be stored in the following location. If the its a default installation.

C:\Program Files\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\script-plugins\PM_Extractor\ScriptOutput.csv

To generalise, in both windows or linux, you can find the output in the following location.

<installdir>/DFM/script-plugins\PM_Extractor\ScriptOutput.csv

Regards

adai

Many thanks to you all for the reply. Excellent script.

Hi Neil,

Happy that its really helping you and find it useful. Let us know if you have any ideas or improvements needed in the script.

Regards

adai

Thank you for script. For some reason I keep getting following error message when scheduled from dfm. I installed ActivePerl and path variable for perl exist in system environment variable.  I can also manually browse to .pl script. Any idea?

C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\script-plugins\PM_Extractor\PM_Extractor.pl" failed.

Reason: The system cannot find the file specified