Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

System Manager question

hheuze

Hi All,

I would like to know if, System Manager will support SnapMirror?

If OK, When?

And could it manage resync and reverse resync process (like in BCO)?

Regards,

Thanks,

Hugues

14 REPLIES 14

rle
NetApp Alumni

System Manager does not support Snapmirror.  Due to current resources, it will not be available.  Please use products like Provisioning Manager.

- Rick -

hheuze

You answer System Manager does not support System Manager, I guess you mean SnapMirror

You mention Prov Manager, to do what? As I know Prov Manager it doesn't manager SNapMirror, Protection Manager can manage DR Failover but not Failback

So what is the good solution to replace BCO?

Thanks,

Hugues

rle
NetApp Alumni

Your are correct, System Manager does not support SnapMirror.  Sorry for the typo.

As for Business Continuance Option (BCO), I do not know that information and hopefully someone else will answer later on today.  However if you search the internal web, I think you will find some answers like http://wikid.netapp.com/w/Storage_Management/Hel/BCO_features.

- Rick -

danielpr

Hi Hugues,

Yes Prov Manager doesn't do SnapMirror manage and I think Rick wanted to say as Protection Manager. For time being use FilerView for resync.

Thanks,

Hugues

hheuze

Hi Daniel,

Yes, but FilerView can't manage resync reversed, that's mean we can't realize a FailBack via GUI

Exception: with VMware using SRM with NetApp FailBack plugin, but for all the other cases!!!

What's your opinion?

Thanks

Hugues

danielpr

Hugues,

That’s the pretty nice use case. You should contact Protection Manager Product Management team with this requirement.

In my knowledge this feature requirement should be the best fit for Protection Manager.

Thanks;

Daniel

smoot

For the time being, keep using BCO for failback.  We have no plans to remove the functionality it offers until we add all the capabilities to Protection Manager.

-- Pete

cui
NetApp Alumni

Due to resource constraint, there is no plan to support SnapMirror in System Manager as of right now.  We are

continuing evaluating the option and will update the field if things change.

For now, please continue use BCO option.  If a customer owns BCO, it will continue function.  Otherwise, the Protection Manager license will turn on BCO functionality.

amiller_1

Based on this post from Steve Klinkner back in April....

http://blogs.netapp.com/simple_steve/2009/04/system-manager-10---whats-new.html

where in the "Coming Soon" section he says....

"Support for quotas and mirroring are two features that aren't yet in System Manager but will be, soon."

Has that been changed? (as I do have quite a few customers who would love to this support soon....those are two very frequent items that pull people back out of System Manager)

rle
NetApp Alumni

Quotas will be in a System Manager release out around Feb 2010.  As for SnapMirror, I will reiterate what Cindy Cui wrote:

Due to resource constraints, there is no plan to support SnapMirror in System Manager as of right now.  We are

continuing evaluating the option and will update the field if things change.

When Steve wrote his blog in April 2009, resources were allocated differently.

- Rick -

jcampaz516

Hi everyone.  Does anyone out there know if any progress has been made in regards to Sys Manager supporting Snapmirror relationships (failing over/failing back)?  I'm a big fan of Sys Manager as it makes the NETAPP environment more accessible & easier to learn to the junior staff for general administration of FAS systems (leaving the CLI commands for the hardcore SAN Admins).  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Merry XMas & Happy New Year to all!

Best,

- Jeff

nagendrk

Snapmirror capabilities has been a constant request from most users. It is definitely in plans. Maybe next major release might have it included, timelines being planned out.

rle
NetApp Alumni

To clarify what Nagendra wrote, SnapMirror is in the plans for System Manager 2.x with a current unknown release date.

As for SnapMirror in System Manager 1.x, I will reiterate what Cindy Cui wrote:

"Due to resource constraints, there is no plan to support SnapMirror in System Manager 1.x as of right now.  We are

continuing evaluating the option and will update the field if things change."

- Rick -

__frostbyte_9045

Netapp is much like Microsoft.  There are 3 ways to do the same thing.  However, there are over 5 differant tools that facilitate the 3 ways.  You just can't do it all from one place, at least not efficiently. 

Public