Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Throttle Schedule in PM

bpicard

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Throttle Schedule in PM. Suppose that we have a Throttle schedule that starts at 8AM to 8PM which limits the bandwith used by a policy.

If a transfer started at 7PM, it will use the throttle. If at 9PM, the transfer is not finished, will it use all the available bandwith available at that time ?

Same question for the opposite: if a transfer started at 7AM which used all the available bandwith and is not finished at 8AM, will it be limited at 8AM ?

Thanks,

Bruno

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Bruno,

Basically throttle is to restrict the job that starts between the hours specified.

They are not dynamic, to change to unlimited if the job spans beyond the throttle hours.

>If a transfer started at 7PM, it will use the throttle. If at 9PM, the transfer is not finished, will it use all the available bandwidth available at that time ?

No. Its until the job is completed.

Same question for the opposite: if a transfer started at 7AM which used all the available bandwidth and is not finished at 8AM, will it be limited at 8AM ?

No. Throttle is fixed for a job.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

adaikkap

Hi Bruno,

Basically throttle is to restrict the job that starts between the hours specified.

They are not dynamic, to change to unlimited if the job spans beyond the throttle hours.

>If a transfer started at 7PM, it will use the throttle. If at 9PM, the transfer is not finished, will it use all the available bandwidth available at that time ?

No. Its until the job is completed.

Same question for the opposite: if a transfer started at 7AM which used all the available bandwidth and is not finished at 8AM, will it be limited at 8AM ?

No. Throttle is fixed for a job.

Regards

adai

bpicard

Many Thanks.

Bruno

brunopad87

Sorry for wake up this topic again, but I'm having some issues here with Throttle.

I have a throttle policy to use a specified bandwidth between 7AM and 7PM and in the same policy another bandwidth value for 7:01PM to 6:59AM. And taking into account what you said above, if a transfer continues after 7PM it will keep using the bandwidth configured for 7AM to 7PM, right?

smoot

Correct. When the job starts, it computes the throttled bitrate once, sets it for all transfers, and leaves it in place until the transfer ends.

The only special case is if the throttle goes to zero, all running transfers are aborted and the job ends.

brunopad87

Oh ok, when it goes to zero it enters on quiesced state? Can I resume these jobs later?

smoot

No, they get aborted without a checkpoint and you have to restart from scratch.

brunopad87

Thanks for the info, mate.

adaikkap

Hi Pete,

Can you elaborate on the special case with example ?

"The only special case is if the throttle goes to zero, all running transfers are aborted and the job ends."

Let me see if I understand it

If a throttle is there as follows.

5PM to 10AM 200kbps

10:01AM to 4:59PM 0kbps

So any job starting between 5pm to 10am  will have a bandwidth of 200kbps/ number of relationship till it ends.Say if the job started at 9:30 AM and continue beyond 10AM will it stop at 10:01AM as the bandwidth is zero or will it still continue at 200kbps/number of relationship ?

Or only Job that starts after 10:01AM will fail due to no bandwidth ?

Regards

adai

smoot

At 10:01, the job will stop in a "Failed" state. It will not continue at 200 kbps.

Public