Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Upgrading Question

netappcha

We had consultants setup and install System Manager 1.0 and I have installed System Manager 1.1R1. I assumed 1.0 would be upgraded but 1.0 is still installed on the system, i assume it is save to remove?

They also installed Management Console Version 3.0 but i installed NetApp Operations Manager 4.0 but i am a bit confused. The 3.0 management console is still installed and i assume both are pointing to the same database and the console has been replaced with the web interface and i can remove Console 3.0?

What type of database does Operation Manager use? I assumed some type of SQL Express ?

Operations, Protection, Provisioning we are licensed for and all three use the same interface which is either MMC console in 3.0 or web page in 4.0?

Thanks in advance for assistance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Thank you both for the quick replies. In summary the NMC is used to work with Protection Manager & Provisioning Manager and the Web Interface is Operations Manager?

correct and one more correction Performance Advisor also uses, NMC.

Also all three use the same Sybase database, which is located where?

Its generally under <installation dir>/NTAPdfm/data.

I checked Computer Management and I dont see a sybase service that runs.

As I already said, its a embedded db, you can find the sql service running using the cli dfm service list.

[root@lnx ~]# dfm service list

sql: started

http: started

eventd: not started

monitor: not started

scheduler: not started

server: started

watchdog: not started

[root@lnx~]#

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rle
NetApp Alumni

Yes, you can remove System Manager 1.0 after you have installed System Manager 1.1R1.

The NetApp Management Console (NMC) is currently at 3.0.  Operations Manager is at 4.0.  NMC is a java client, while Operations Manager is a browser client.  They both use the same database via the OnCommand (DFM) server.  Both clients are useful.  Operations Manager is better for monitoring and inventory; while NMC provisions and protects storage.

The database is currently SysBase.

Regards,

- Rick -

adaikkap
They also installed Management Console Version 3.0 but i installed NetApp Operations Manager 4.0 but i am a bit confused. The 3.0 management console is still installed and i assume both are pointing to the same database and the console has been replaced with the web interface and i can remove Console 3.0?

Don't remove Netapp Management Console(NMC).For all operation related to Provisioning you will need NMC, or the same can be done from the CLI, but not from the Web Interface.

What type of database does Operation Manager use? I assumed some type of SQL Express ?

Operation Manager use embedded database Sybase ASA 10

Operations, Protection, Provisioning we are licensed for and all three use the same interface which is either MMC console in 3.0 or web page in 4.0?

For all operation related to operations manager like reporting , config mgmt, passwd mgmt, quota mgmt,  you will need Web Interface or CLI.

For all operation related to Provisioning Manager like dataset, provisioning, you will need NMC or CLI.

Regards

adai

netappcha

Thank you both for the quick replies. In summary the NMC is used to work with Protection Manager & Provisioning Manager and the Web Interface is Operations Manager? Also all three use the same Sybase database, which is located where? I checked Computer Management and I dont see a sybase service that runs.

adaikkap

Thank you both for the quick replies. In summary the NMC is used to work with Protection Manager & Provisioning Manager and the Web Interface is Operations Manager?

correct and one more correction Performance Advisor also uses, NMC.

Also all three use the same Sybase database, which is located where?

Its generally under <installation dir>/NTAPdfm/data.

I checked Computer Management and I dont see a sybase service that runs.

As I already said, its a embedded db, you can find the sql service running using the cli dfm service list.

[root@lnx ~]# dfm service list

sql: started

http: started

eventd: not started

monitor: not started

scheduler: not started

server: started

watchdog: not started

[root@lnx~]#

Regards

adai

Public