Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA Feedback/Feature request - Password fields/Resume Workflow/Required Fields/Rollback Workflow

mshearer

So I am not sure if this is the best way to do this throwing everything in one post, but I have a couple questions and some general feedback and wanted to see what the community thinks.  I am working with WFA 1.1.0.53.2 Build 6510

Resuming workflows feedback

-This is a handy feature and I have found use in it

-my question/feedback in regards to this however is that when you resume you should have the ability to modify the the user inputs in case you messed up an input or missed a required input

Rollback a workflow

-I imagine this is would be a huge pain to implement, but it would be handy

Required fields in a workflow

-It would be nice if in the User Inputs for a workflow you could define required fields so that you can not execute the workflow until they are completed

Secure fields

-Is there a way to create secure fields i.e. fields for passwords where they are not displayed or stored in clear text?  If not something like this would be very useful

What is used by what

-It would be handy to be able to right click on a function, command, templates or pretty much anything else and see what workflows or whatever use the selected function, command or template, the main reason for this is that it would be nice just to see how it is being used by whatever is currently using it

4 REPLIES 4

fenton

A couple of points/opinions based on previous conversations

Rollback whislt nice get's pretty complex;  What happens if I deleted the object;  what happens if the rollback fails (do we then roll back the rollback etc etc) - I think the team were advised to not be too clever and just stop and alert (after which they added the capability to resume)

I recently had a similar request to provide mandatory/optional user input fields - in fact all input fields are optional - it's only the commands that have mandatory parameters but I kind of agree it would be nice to idnetify several inputs as advanced or not requried and somehow collaspe or expand the inputs in the work input dialogue.  In 1.1 I think the best you can achieve is using the Display Name and Detail test to maybe denote that a field in non-mandatory or otherwise

I don't know of anyway to hide the user input - why would you do this - are you passing security crednetials somewhere ?

mshearer

Thanks fenton for the reply, I understand the rollback being supremely complex so that makes sense.

The mandatory/optional fields would be really nice, especially if, as you mentioned, that could define inputs to be shown or not shown depending on the selection

In terms of the user inputs when registering a CIFS server in the domain you have to enter a username and password to do so, and maybe it is just me but the whole clear text password thing makes me a bit squeamish, also I have an instance where a customer wants to create vFilers with distinct passwords and while it is possible to do that with WFA, that is another area where the password is stored and passed in clear text and a possible security concern

niels

I've pitched WFA just last Friday and the customer had the very same request.

For their workflow (creating a vfiler and add them to a domain), the password for the domain has to be supplied.

They request:

- the password must not be shown when entered

- the password must not be logged in the audit log or workflow history

regards Niels

abrian

Required fields in a workflow

-It would be nice if in the User Inputs for a workflow you could define required fields so that you can not execute the workflow until they are completed

+1

Public