Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA provisioning and conformance

francoisbnc

In my environnement, Provisioning and Conformance are actually covered by onCommand.

I'm looking for a way in WFA to apply some options only on volumes attached to specific provisioning policies in DFM.

Storage database contents dataset -> volumes assignation, but I cant retrieve provisioning policy from a cached table.

What will be the best way to have this information?

Some help appreciated,

francois

5 REPLIES 5

yaronh

Hello Francois,

We are indeed caching the datasets in the OnCommand so you can filter only volumes that are in a certain dataset.

We don't cache Provisioning Policies as there was no request for that so far.

There are 2 options here:

1) We might be able to assist with adding that caching

2) Is there any external information repository that you can get that information from? If so - We can cache it.

Is it a common use case? We haven't encountered many people that use Provisioning Policies.

Best,

Yaron

francoisbnc

Hi Yaron,

Yes  it's common because prov_pol are used for conformance as well (snap reserve, frac reserve, volume guarantee, dedup, compression not out the box, snap autodelete, vol autosize, etc).

I would like use WFA for provisioning and DFM (Snapprotect) for protection without lose the advantages of Storage Service in DFM, dataset table in WFA contents volumes of course, but we lose the Storage Service information that represents basis concept of storage as Service.

There are 2 options here:

1) We might be able to assist with adding that caching

2) Is there any external information repository that you can get that information from? If so - We can cache it.

1) You will be happy to have this kind of information

2) DFM contains these informations, I don't need to use an other reference somewhere.

Cheers

francois

girirp

Hi francois,

As yaron mentioned we can achieve caching of Prov Policies in WFA. But, with WFA you will not get Conformance feature. I hope you are not looking for conformance feature in WFA.

francoisbnc

Hi Girirp,

Why not? WFA workflows can apply vol options, reserve via PS commands in the same way that DFM actually do with conformance schedule every 8 hours.

A container must exist for conduct which policies have to be applied on what, Storage Service are a good start for me.

francois

girirp

Hi francois,

I never tried this method. Thanks for the info, let me go and try this out.

Thanks again.

Giri

Public