Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

What all the MIB file (SNMP) reports

arghya

Hello All,

I don’t have much understanding of the NetApp MIB file (used for SNMP) and need some info if it helps capture and report the following:

(The client wishes to use Tivoli and doesn’t want to use DFM-Ops Manager)

Verify the Aggregates:

Verify the status of all aggregates is reflected as online.

Verify the capacity used for the aggregates is 95% or below.

Verify the Volume Status:

Verify the status for all volumes is reflected as online.

Verify the Utilization for all volumes is depicted as 95% or below.

Verify the LUN Status:

Verify all LUNS are depicted as online.

Verify Snapmirror on destination filers:

filers-A & B. Lag time should not be more than a few hours old and is formatted as DD:HH:MM:SS

In sysconfig –a

search for the Following words:

• failed
  • bypassed
  • found in scan

In sysconfig –r

search for the Following words:

bad label

not responding

Checking environment status chassis list-sensors

All sensors should report normal status.

Any detailed info will be great.

I saw the Network Management Guide, but could not come across the above being discussed in detail.

Thanks so much in advance.

Kumar

2 REPLIES 2

kevingraham

arghya wrote:

I don’t have much understanding of the NetApp MIB file (used for SNMP) and need some info if it helps capture and report the following

Yes, most of those are instrumented (though you won't be able to get that level of detail for the various different disk failure modes).

I saw the Network Management Guide, but could not come across the above being discussed in detail.

The MIB itself (rootvol/etc/mib/netapp.mib) is reasonably well documented, but reference the Manageability SDK for additional detail.

rle
NetApp Alumni

Kumar -

It is unfortunate that the customer does not want to use OnCommand, because Tivoli has been integrated with OnCommand monitoring.  See: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Monitoring/page/NetApp%20Storage%20Agent for details.  Also Tivoli is integrated with OnCommand for provisioning, https://fieldportal.netapp.com/viewcontent.asp?qv=1&docid=41117.

As Kevin stated about the NetApp MIB, it is fairly well documented in netapp.mib file.  You or someone else will have to take the time read the NetApp MIB and extract the desired information.  From netapp.mib for example, aggregate state, go to the aggregate table, aggrTable with an arrary of AggrEntry's.  Each AggrEntry has aggrState which will have 'online' or 'offline'.  Now what are the OIDs you might ask; well there is another file snmp_aliases.txt that informs you that aggrTable's OID is: .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.11.X and aggrState is: .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.11.1.5.X.  You can also get SNMP MIB readers that will read netapp.mib making life a little easier.

Good luck,

- Rick -

Public