Subscribe
New Contributor

Why does Protection Manager need Provisioning Manager?

Customer has Protection Manager and is trying to setup a Replication using Protection Manager on an ASIS enabled volume, but isn't working. Technical support advised that we need Provisioning Manager. Why is Provisioning Manager needed to setup this replication relationship? Is this documented somewhere? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Why does Protection Manager need Provisioning Manager?

Hi Steve,

Without more information I'm just guessing at what you are trying to do. But most likely you can't protect the deduped volume because Protection Manager can't provision a secondary volume with dedupe. You can, however, provision a volume yourself and manually enable dedupe on the volume. Then directly put the volume into the dataset secondary and PM will use it as the replication destination.

Hope this helps,

Dave

New Contributor

Dave,

Thanks. I'm trying to get more information on the issue. Let me see if I have this straight.

If I want Protection manager to automatically create the destination with dedupe, I will have to enable Provisioning Manager.

If I have a volume that is deduped and want to use Protection Manager, I can do this without Provisiong Manager. The catch is I will have to manually create the destination volume and enable dedupe, then have Protection Manager use this volume. Once this relationship is established in Protection Manager, it will maintain the replication policy.

Reading more into your answer. Without Provisioning Manager, If I resize the primary, I will manually have to resize the secondary. If I do not, Protection Manager will fail in the update because the sizes are incompatible. If I have Provisioning Manager and resize the primary, will it automatically resize the secondary because of the relationship within Protection Manager?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I believe your assessment is correct on all grounds. When a volume is imported into PM, PM respects sizing and other settings on the volume. So if something changes to make that volume non-viable, PM will suggest a rebaseline. This design decision is currently being revisited.

I cc'd Pete Smoot to make sure I didn't misstate something.

Dave

In our experience, protection manager has caused more open cases and customer questions.  Anything to make the product easier would be great...especially supporting dedup replication without requiring provisioning manager (without the manual workaround).

Scott,

My understanding is that the licensing scheme is changing so that this will no longer be an issue. That is, if a customer has Protection Manager, they will have Provisioning Manager. Please contact Cindy Cui (our PM) for details.

There has already been much internal rejoicing

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to let you know that,resizing the secondary volume(destination volume backup or mirror) doesn't need provisioning manager license.

If they are provisioned by protection manger.In your case resizing of the secondary volume is required as this is a imported volume.(i.e. created by user and not by protection manager).Having provisioning manager license will also not help in your case.(i.e. when the secondary is created by user.)

Regards

adai

New Contributor

Adai,

Does this mean that Protection Manager cannot resize any volume that it does not create?

What happens with changes? If the secondary volume is changed outside Protection Manager, will this action break Protection and cause existing replications to fail? Will this require a reinitialization?

It sounds like in general, its a bad idea to manually create dedupe volumes for Protection Manager. What happens if the customer uses a temporary license for Provisioning Manager. When the temp Provisioning license expires, will Protection Mgr be able to resize the volume if needed?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Does this mean that Protection Manager cannot resize any volume that it does not create?

yes.

What happens with changes? If the secondary volume is changed outside Protection Manager, will this action break Protection and cause existing replications to fail? Will this require a reinitialization?

Like what changes ? can you elaborate ?

It sounds like in general, it's a bad idea to manually create dedupe volumes for Protection Manager. What happens if the customer uses a temporary license for Provisioning Manager. When the temp Provisioning license expires, will Protection Mgr be able to resize the volume if needed?

Yes.

Regards

adai

New Contributor

I see two scenarios. My concern is if changes are made outside of Protection Mgr, will Protection Mgr have issues.

1. I use Protection Mgr and Provision Mgr to create volumes, and Replication Policy, etc. Will anything break if someone goes into the NetApp controller CLI and adjusts the primary and secondary volume sizes?

2. If I create dedupe volumes for primary and secondary and try to have Protection Mgr without Provision Mgr maintain the replication, can i resize the primary and secondary without breaking Protection Manager and not cause any reinitialize?

Also, what functionality do I lose by not having Provisioning Manager with Protection Manager. If I create my own dedupe volumes and have Protection Mgr without Provision Mgr maintain the replication, what features of Protection Manager are not available?