Subscribe

Why does system manager 2.0r1 set no_i2p on by default?

Is there any particular reason why newly created volumes on a Ontap 8.0.1 gets no_i2p set to on by default?

Supposedly i2p helps optimize some operations so I see no reason to disable it.

Re: Why does system manager 2.0r1 set no_i2p on by default?

System Manager does not set or change any Volume options when it is created from the interface. It is just a GUI over ONTAP.

You might want to post your question in the ONTAP community discussion forum to know the behavior in ONTAP

https://communities.netapp.com/community/products_and_solutions/data_ontap

-Karthik

Well, neither "vol create" nor Filerview creates volumes with no_i2p on by default.

That is why I assumed there is something with System Manager 2.0 default options.

But I can move the discussion if you still think it has to do with some Ontap defaults.

Just got an update from SM Engineering team.

If the Volume type is selected as NAS in System Manager, the no_i2p option is not set. ONTAP defaults are used.

If the Volume type is selected as SAN, no_i2p option is set by SM. This is keep feature parity with System Manager 1.0 and System Manager 1.1.

We are currently evaluating the implication of  not setting no_i2p  Volume option from System Manager.

Are you creating a NAS or SAN Volume? If it is a NAS Volume then the option should not be set and it might be a bug and we need to look into it.

Thanks,

Karthik

Yes, I was creating a ”SAN” Volume and got the no_i2p option set.

I tested with “NAS” volume and then no_i2p is not set, as you developers told you.

I would argue that I don’t care how System Manager 1.0/1.1 behaved.

Did 1.0/1.1 do the right thing would be the question?

I’m only interested in the current software setting the correct values.

Also, I noticed that “NAS” volumes sets “guarantee=none” when thin provisioning is selected.

I was told (a couple years ago by a Netapp consultant) that “guarantee=file” is the preferred in a CIFS/NFS environment.

Out of your on-the-field techies, is “none” or “file” the preferable one to be set when a NAS volume is created?

Thanks

Dejan