Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Windows Disk Management does not report iscsi LUN

VIKAS_AGGARWAL

Hi,

I am trying to do some hands-on  for  iSCSI NetApp SAN setup. My host is  Windows 2003 SP2 system. Installed SnapDrive 5.0 and  Microsoft iSCSI  Initiator 2.08 on it.  I am testing with simulator 7.2.5.1.

I created a LUN using snapdrive sdcli from host but cannot see this iSCSI LUN on host's disk management.  When I try to connect I get following error message on host which says LUN is already mapped (if thats the case then it should show up in disk management on host). Please help me to understand what is the problem. There is only one host in my environment.

===========================

C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapDrive>sdcli disk connect -dtype dedicated -p \\172.16.25.109\cifs_qtree1\lassen_iscsi.lun -d B -I iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lassen.engineering.vicom.com -verbose

Unable to connect to the virtual disk
Error: The specified lun '/vol/iscsi_vol1/test_vol1/lassen_iscsi.lun' is already mapped to at least one initiator 'iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lassen.engineering.
vicom.com'. Try disconnect the corresponding virtual disk using SnapDrive on the host it is connected to, or from Storage System console use 'lun unmap' command, or unmap the lun using Storage System View.

==============================

When I run "lun show -v" on simulator node. It shows it is mapped to right host

=======================================

vikas-node1> lun show -v
        /vol/iscsi_vol1/test_vol1/lassen_iscsi.lun   70.6m (74027520)      (r/w, online, mapped)
                Serial#: nBLskoNdXEWZ
                Share: none
                Space Reservation: enabled
                Multiprotocol Type: windows_gpt
                Maps: viaRPC.iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lassen.engineering.vicom.com=0
vikas-node1>

=========================================

I tried some other commands on host to verify my setup but nothing looks wrong to me.  My simulator's IP address is 172.16.25.109

=============================

C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapDrive>sdcli igroup list -f 172.16.25.109

Listing the IGroups ...

Node Name: LASSEN
Initiators Group Name: viaRPC.iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lassen.engineering.vicom
.com
Initiators Group Type: ISCSI
os-type:Windows
Initiators:
           iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lassen.engineering.vicom.com
The operation completed successfully.

=====================================

C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapDrive>sdcli sysconfig list
        SnapDrive 5.0.0.1886, Build: 5.0
        Machine name: LASSEN
        MPIO is  installed
        Available drive letters: B F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
        1 driver(s):
                iSCSI subsystem
                Microsoft iSCSI service
                iSCSI initiator : iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lassen.engineering.vicom.com
                1 iSCSI HBA(s):
                        iSCSI HBA_ID: 0
                        iSCSI HBA name: Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000_0
                        iSCSI HBA description: Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
                                1 portals(s):
                                        Portal ID: 0
                                        IP address: 172.16.5.15

==============================================

====================================

C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapDrive>sdcli iscsi_initiator list -s
        1 connected iSCSI target(s):
                Target name: iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.99928593
                Number of LUNs: 0
                1 iSCSI session(s):
                        Session ID: 0xffffffff85c568d4-0x4000013700000001
                        Microsoft iSCSI service
                        iSCSI HBA_ID: 0
                        iSCSI HBA name: Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000_0
                        iSCSI HBA description: Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
                        1 iSCSI connection(s):
                                Connection ID: 0xffffffff85c568d4-0x0
                                CID: 00 01
                                Initiator portal:
                                        Portal ID: 0
                                        IP address: 172.16.5.15
                                        IP port: 1026
                                Target portal:
                                        IP address: 172.16.25.109
                                        IP port: 3260

====================================================

3 REPLIES 3

dennisaeso

Hello,

We got a similar error, and we couldn't successfully remap to the same LUN using Disk Management..

However, the following work-around helped us get to the data (in our case, the exchange server 03 mailstore and logs):

1. Backup the LUN
  2. Restore the LUN to another folder
  3. Retry mapping to the new folder using Disk Management.

Regards,

Dennis

1netapp4me

We ran into the same problem.  From the Netapp side everything with the LUN was correct, online, mapped.  From the host side it could no longer see that LUN, but when trying to Connect New Disk using SnapDrive it would fail, saying it was already connected to the initiator.

More App logs:
7/17/2012 1:50:42 PM

Failed to retrieve information required for connecting the LUN.

LUN Name = TEST01_LOGS
Storage Path = /vol/LUNA04_SQLPPRD_02/
Protocol Type = HTTPS
Storage System Name = LUNA04

Error code : The specified LUN '/vol/LUNA04_SQLPPRD_02/TEST01_LOGS' is already mapped to at least one initiator 'iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:lusqlpprd01.xxxxxx.xxxxx.edu'. Try disconnect the corresponding LUN using SnapDrive on the host it is connected to, or from storage system console use 'LUN unmap' command, or unmap the LUN using Storage System View.

7/17/2012 9:35:04 AM

Network Adapter Event. Portal information has been updated after receiving network adapter arrival/removal event.

LUNA04> lun stats /vol/LUNA04_SQLPPRD_02/TEST01_LOGS
/vol/LUNA04_SQLPPRD_02/TEST01_LOGS (158 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes, 8 seconds)
Read (kbytes) Write (kbytes) Read Ops Write Ops
274986917 2325019007 2228476 46249778
LUNA04>
LUNA04> lun stats /vol/LUNA04_SQLPPRD_02/TEST01_DATA
/vol/LUNA04_SQLPPRD_02/TEST01_DATA (158 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes, 20 seconds)
Read (kbytes) Write (kbytes) Read Ops Write Ops
4731869533 6060622399 130183024 71152885

whatever connects it to the server using Microsoft iscsi initiator or SDW seems to be at fault.

We Offlined the LUN, and brought it back to no avail.  Restarted services on the server.  Checked the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator settings.

Finally after reading this: http://www.hodgkins.net.au/storage/how-to-fix-timeout-while-mounting-lun-in-netapp-snapdrive/

This generally occurs when you have created a LUN using the NetApp System Manager first, and then tried to connect to it in SnapDrive.

The reason for this error message is that when SnapDrive is connecting to a disk, it expects to see a formatted partition being connected – and when this doesn’t occur, it doesn’t know what to do and times out.

Clean up the mess

As the LUN mapping has failed half way through, you need to remove the igroups that have been added to the LUN, otherwise you will receive a “The specified LUN /vol/xxx is already mapped to at least one initiator” error.

1. Connect to the filer using telnet
  2. Run the following command:  

lun unmap /vol/YourLUNName youriGroupName

3. You will get a message back saying the igroup has been unmapped from the LUN

Connect the LUN again

1. Open SnapDrive and start connecting to your LUN again, as the process starts to occur you will see the following status messages appearing:  

Figure - LUN Status Message

2. At this point, open up Computer Management and then in the left navigation pane select Disk Management
  3. You will notice a new, unformatted drive appear. If you don’t see it keep refreshing until it appears

What Finally worked was using Computer Management>Disk Management to view the disks.  Found the OFFLINE  Disk14 that was the same size (150GB) as the LUN on Netapp and right-clicked and ONLINE DISK.  After all that was done, it came online correctly to where other programs could find it.

Because this was one of several Shared Cluster LUNs in a SQL cluster we did the following to get it back in as Shared.

Failover Cluster Manager

Added it as a disk resource of that application, then gave it a dependancy of the main disk

this lets sql know it's under its umbrella.
HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS!!!

adaikkap

This thread would be more appropriate in ONTAP/SAN communities pages than here, where you could get better responses.

Regards

adai

Public