2011-05-31 12:27 PM
Just came across an error when adding a filer to my new DFM server... it's telling me that the DFM server can't communicate to the filer using snmp. If you see the CLI outputs below, you can see that snmp_v1 and v3 are failing. I’ve checked the filer and 'snmp.enable’ is set to ‘on’ as well all other snmp setting are set to match my other filers.
#dfm host add <filer>
Error: Can't contact new host <filer> with SNMP or host agent protocol.
For host agents, make sure that host agent is installed and running on the
host. For other hosts, make sure SNMP is enabled on the host.
Run 'dfm host diag <filer>' to troubleshoot.
#dfm host diag <filer>
IP Address <ip_address>
Network (discovery disabled)
DNS Aliases <filer>
DNS Addresses <ip_address>
SNMP Version in Use SNMPv1
SNMPv1 Failed: Timeout
SNMP Community public
SNMPv3 Failed: Timeout
SNMPv3 Auth Protocol MD5
SNMPv3 Privacy Enabled Yes
SNMPv3 Username root
ICMP Echo Passed (1 ms)
HTTP Passed (1 ms)
Host Agent Connect Failed (transport http; port 4092)
Anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this?
2011-05-31 12:54 PM
A couple of things come immediately to mind:
1) Firewalls, either local on your server or somewhere in between
2) multiple IP aliases in the same subnet as the one you are polling on the filer
3) options snmp.access does not include your dfm server
2011-05-31 04:35 PM
There are no fw's between the dfm server and the filer in question....
The filer does have 2 vifs however; I've been specifying the ip address for the vif I setup as the preferred interface
snmp.access = legacy
The funny part is that 2 minutes after I posted, I tried again and for whatever reason this time it added the host. The only follow up issue is that it still shows snmp as failed during a host diag.....
2011-05-31 09:08 PM
The only follow up issue is that it still shows snmp as failed during a host diag.....
I don't know why this happens but I often see that IP configured to vifs, vlan interfaces take longer time in reaching. This is what I suspect here. No certain as yet though. Can you try to increase the SNMP timeout and SNMP re-tries to some larger value.
On CLI something like this:
# dfm option set monSNMPTimeout=500
Changed SNMP timeout (in seconds) to 500.
# dfm option set monSNMPRetries=100
Changed SNMP retries to 100.
Now refresh the host and see if it works.
2011-07-28 02:30 PM
If you have made any changes to the SNMP communities via filerview, back them out and make the changes from the CLI. I have seen filerview changes never take effect even after options snmp.enable off then on and snmp init.
2012-01-04 04:20 AM
Was actually wondering if you ever solved this issue.
We had the same issue with our filers and found out the the community string on the filer or the DFM server it self was incorrect. We changed these settings so that they matched and things worked just fine.
Was just curious.