Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

e0m Management Port

tvmo_tvmo

Hello,

I'm going to use the e0m port as the main management port for my FAS3140 cluster. I have several other VIFs, one of which I run the SnapMirrors over. I'd like to use this as a secondary route for management just in case of issues with e0m - hpw can I do this?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

prakash_aviva

e0m interface is used for configuring the cf hw_assist. instead, use rlm for management.

prakash_aviva

In addtion to it, RLM remote management capabilities for the storage system, including remote access to the console, monitoring, troubleshooting, logging, and alerting features.

Also, the RLM stays operational regardless of the operating state of the storage system and regardless of whether Data ONTAP is running or not.

tvmo_tvmo

I thought the e0m interface was the management interface and the RLM. Albeit they use two separate IP addresses, they are the same physical port.

My question was if e0m fails (both management port and RLM), how can I ensure I have another route in to the filer from another Ethernet port/VIF?

Thanks

aborzenkov

I am not sure I really understand the question. You can use any configured interface for management activities (as long as you did not explicitly disable it). The idea behind e0M is to offer relatively low cost management interface that could be physically separated from other traffic; most people would rather not spend the full 1Gb/s interface just for this task. But it does not mean that management must be exclusively done via e0M.

Of course if e0M port fails you lose access to RLM. To provide redundant console connect serial port to terminal concentrator or just to COM port of nearby server. And if you want to be able to remotely power cycle filer, install PDU with remote control capabilities. Some companies offer the whole range of console/power gadgets with single management layer, SSO etc.

But to reiterate – any standard management task on DataONTAP can by default be done via any configured interface.

tvmo_tvmo

Thanks for the reply.

You've answered my question. As long as I can route the the interface, I can manage it using Putty/FilerView.

aborzenkov wrote:

I am not sure I really understand the question. You can use any configured interface for management activities (as long as you did not explicitly disable it).

How can you specifically disable  it, as this may be the issue I am seeing?

Thanks

aborzenkov

See documentation for protocolaccess. You can selectively disable use of some protocols used to manage NetApp (like ssh, http and several others) for specific hosts, networks or interfaces.

tvmo_tvmo

Thansk for your help

tvmo_tvmo

Another wuestion on e0M.

Am I OK to use the e0M port for domain integration and NTP trafiic? It's a TCP port after all.

Thanks

Public