Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

error while browsing image in Cognos report studio

sunilyadav

Hi,

I wanted to use images as logo in my reports. I designed a report, put image in a block and while browsing the image path the I got error:

web server error

The web request failed.

501 - Not implemented

I did some research on google and saw solutions around apache or IIS to enable webDAV but then found Netapp KB article on same topic. KB Doc ID 2016331

I tried to use image path in given kb but still the image is broken.

Any working workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hotz

Hi,

Sorry,  haven't considered OCI versions prior to 7.2, where we switched to a vanilla (all NetApp branding gone) reporting portal, aka. Cognos.

So, basically what's happening here is that Cognos does not access the filesystem directly, but expects an URL, which is served by a web server - in our case by Tomcat's Catalina, which is bundled in with Jboss.

It took me bit of poking around to figure out that apparently the root directory of the web service maps in OCI verions < 7.2 on the filesystem to %SANSCREEN_HOME%\jboss\server\onaro\deploy\reporting.war

So, doing the same thing I described before, but in the directory mentioned above, should work. The screenshot attached is of 7.1.x

Hope this helps.

Gerhard

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ostiguy

What path did you place the image in?

What is the file extension? I am not sure if it is restricted to certain extensions

hotz

WebDav would be used for browsing the image directory. But since WebDav is not enabled by default, the browsing does not work (unless you enable WebDav).

However, for adding an image to the report, you don't have to enable WebDav. My workaround is to understand how the URL to the image maps to the filesystem.

The attached schreenshot should illustrate how it works.

Note: I have manually created a directory %SANSCREEN_HOME%\cognos\c10_64\webcontent\img and copied a jpg there for testing.

In the report I used the proper path specification as displayed in the screenshot (without trying to actually brows the image directory, since brwsing doesn't work).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gerhard

sunilyadav

Hi, Find below the screenshot, I tried as you mentioned. Path I am using is C:\Program Files\SANscreen\cognos\c10_64\webcontent\img Image extension is jpg

hotz

Hi,

Sorry,  haven't considered OCI versions prior to 7.2, where we switched to a vanilla (all NetApp branding gone) reporting portal, aka. Cognos.

So, basically what's happening here is that Cognos does not access the filesystem directly, but expects an URL, which is served by a web server - in our case by Tomcat's Catalina, which is bundled in with Jboss.

It took me bit of poking around to figure out that apparently the root directory of the web service maps in OCI verions < 7.2 on the filesystem to %SANSCREEN_HOME%\jboss\server\onaro\deploy\reporting.war

So, doing the same thing I described before, but in the directory mentioned above, should work. The screenshot attached is of 7.1.x

Hope this helps.

Gerhard

sunilyadav

Hi Hotz,

Its working now. Thanks.

sunilyadav

Can we resize the image? Its too big in size and I am not getting option to change dimensions of that image in the properties pane.

See the attached acreenshot.

hotz

Hi sunilyadav,

What you're looking for is "Size & Overflow".

Cheers,

Gerhard

sunilyadav

Hi,

Sorry to re-touching the topic again. I can see the logo and set the size of it. When I run the report (HTML), it appear correctly, but when I save the output to excel format, that image is broken.

Tried to see the property section, but could related anything which embed that image. 

sstrznwra

Hi,

Do you know how to activate webdav in 7.2.2, in the Version < 7 i do this in httpd.conf and this works.

But in 7.2.2 i can`t find any information, wich webserver is used to browsing images , where is the root directory in the filesystem ?

Your workaround works on 7.2.2  Smiley Happy

regards

Michael

Public