Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

harvest Storage best practice

babukish11

recently instaled harvest, working well as expected. one concern have is filling up the system, just four filer in a day 23 GB, not sure I am missing something.

du -sk /opt/graphite/storage/whisper/netapp/*
10796284        /opt/graphite/storage/whisper/netapp/perf
12386060        /opt/graphite/storage/whisper/netapp/perf7
443052  /opt/graphite/storage/whisper/netapp/poller

I did used storage schema settings.I woild like to know any other best practise I should follow

[carbon]
pattern = ^carbon\.
retentions = 60:90d

[netapp_perf]
pattern = ^netapp(\.poller)?\.perf7?\.
retentions = 1m:35d,5m:100d,15m:395d,1h:5y

[netapp_capacity]
pattern = ^netapp(\.poller)?\.capacity\.
retentions = 15m:100d,1d:5y

thanks

[default_1min_for_1day]
pattern = .*
retentions = 60s:1d

1 REPLY 1

madden

Hi @babukish11

Graphite's .wsp database files are allocated on the filesystem for the full configured retention the first time the metric comes in.  These files are sparse and are 'filled in' as data is written into them.  I usually estimate about 5GB per node but the actual required can vary a lot depending on the number of instances (volumes, lifs, luns, etc) you have that are all individually tracked.

If you have the data on a filesystem backed by a NetApp LUN or virtual disk on NetApp you will only have storage consumption on the NetApp as you actually fill the files.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Solution Architect - 3rd Platform - Systems Engineering NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

Public