Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

"Remove a Volume and its shares and exports" workflow WFA 2.0 - export modification

scheckel

Hi,

in the description for this workflow is following:

Remove a volume as well as its shares and exports. This workflow includes:

- Deleting all CIFS shares of the specified volume.

- Deleting all NFS exports of the specified volume.

- Deleting all SnapMirror relationships of the volume.

- Deleting all quotas related to the volume.

- Deleting the volume.

When i look in the command code i don't see any "Remove-NaNfsExport" call

How does this work?

I want to make sure, than exports entries should be commented out.

Best wishes,

Markus.

7 REPLIES 7

tanzim

Hi Markus,

Deleting a volume inherently deletes the NFS exports also.

That is why you do not see any "Remove-NaNfsExport" call made in the code.

Regards,

Tanzim

scheckel

Hi Tanzim,

thanks for your information.

We want to implement a 2 phase decommision. First bring the volumes offline and after one week destroy it.

Actually I cloned the volume remove command and changed it from destry to offline.

Is ther a better way to do this?

Best wishes,

Markus.

tanzim

Hi Markus,

For the 2 phase decommission implementation, i suggest the following:

1. Clone the volume remove command and change it from destroy to offline.(as you have already done)
  2. Your workflow will have 3 commands (1.Remove Export,2.Remove Volume, 3.Offline Volume) each invoked on a different row of the workflow..
  3. Each row will be looped to find the corresponding objects and perform the command action.(as mentioned by Tanmoy)
  4. An approval point should be introduced after "Remove Volume". The reason being that once the approval point is hit during execution, you can reschedule the workflow to execute after a week.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tanzim

niels

Careful!

The NFS export is only removed if the following option is set:

nfs.export.auto-update   on

This option automatically creates and deletes exports in case volumes are created/deleted. Security sensitive customers usually disable this option.

If disabled, the WFA workflow would leave a stale export behind as the NFS export is not explicitly removed.

regards, Niels

scheckel

Hi Niels,

thanks for clarifying this.

We have disabled this option on all controllers or vfilers. Its sensless, because when we create a CIFS volume its exported rw. This is a security leak.

So that means we have to add on the workflow a exportfs -z aka Remove-NaNfsExport ? The decomission workflow is getting more complex. There a several qtrees in a volume. Has somebody done this before?

Should be addressed in certified workflows.

Best wishes,

Markus.

tanzim

Could you enumerate on all the operations you plan to execute as part of this workflow.

Regards,

Tanzim

tanmoy

Hi Markus,

We can use looping to accomplish such workflows. Should there be N number of qtrees OR N number of nfs exports in the volume; we can use loops to find the corresponding qtrese in the volume OR nfs exports in the volume.

Basically in the loop we need to use a finder to find the qtrees or nfs exports in that particular volume.

Then use "Remove Qtree" Or " Remove export" command.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks

Tanmoy

Public