Subscribe
Accepted Solution

"Tech refresh" using WFA

Hi All,

I saw a bullet point on a cDOT presentation the other day about "Automating a Tech Refresh" using WFA. I'm aware of the sample workflow "Controller and shelf upgrade of a HA pair" which will allow that exact tech refresh scenario. But there's one thing I wanted to check - point 13 of the prerequisites on this workflow is "Note: This workflow does not support “Tech refresh” case where there are 7-mode volumes".

Does this mean there is another workflow where we DO have something that supports 7-Mode to cDOT transition and tech refresh in an "all in one" type operation? If so, can someone please share details of that with me.

Many Thanks

Rob

Re: "Tech refresh" using WFA

Hi Rob,

This particular workflow is for Tech Refresh on a cDOT systems only. This workflow is not for 7mode to cDOT transition.

On cDOT systems, by default all the data volumes are cluster-mode volumes. But the vol0 volumes(node root volumes) are 7-mode volumes.

cDOT systems does support some special steps to create 7mode data volumes. But these volumes cann't be migrated with this Tech Refresh workflow.

In the pre-requisites section, we are mentioning about this limitation to migrate 7-mode data volumes on cDOT systems.

Currently WFA is not shipping workflow to transition from 7-Mode to cDOT. But I think similar workflows are already available on the community site.    

--

Thanks and Regards,

Bestin Jose.

Thanks Bestin

I thought that would be the case - and I'd read the pre-req's. I will take a look on the communities site for any further workflows that help us to automate tech refresh with 7M systems now.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob:

There is a 7-mode to Cluster Data ONTAP mode transition tool available from NetApp.

You can download the tools here.

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ntap_7mtt/1.1/

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ntap_7mtt/1.2RC2/

However these are not integrated with WFA.

Regards

Abhi

Hi Abhi,

Yes, thanks. I've used the 7mtt's before and know how they work. It was more the WFA integration part of the tech refresh I was interested in.

Thanks

Rob