Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

restore dfm performance advisor database after upgrade

leroy

I have a customer that recently upgraded dfm from 3.7.1 to 3.8 on a linux host. Due to the nature of the install, all of the data was backed up and upgraded restored after the upgrade. The performance data was not restored after install so all data before Sept 15th is gone in Performance Advisor.

The customer has asked if there is a way to restore the older data to the dfm server while also maintaining the data that has been collected after sept 15th.

Basically, the customer is asking to merge two databases in order to have all the data in dfm.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lokeshs

Final question on this topic as a follow up for my customer. They were able to expand the "old" perf files via linux but would like to know if there is any work around to allow the new instance to point to the older data and reference it?

Currenty there is no way to reference it. Perf data files use dfm's object IDs in their naming convention. The new instance probably has a different set of IDs

Even if the method is not supported or "ugly" they would be willing to script a solution to save the data. They have already tried to copy the data into the new database but when restarting the NMC the data doesnt show (as expected).

Copying will not work.

Did they try to import the old db into a new install of DFM. They can do this on a test server or even a test VM.

If you can share the old db, we can try to extract it in our lab for you.

~Lokesh

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

adaikkap

Merging of db is not possible.

Its always all or nothing in case of dfm db restore.

Regards

adai

leroy

Is there anyway to save the older data without deleting the new data?

adaikkap

What do you mean by saving with out deleting?

Can you explain more ?

leroy

I have a backup of the performance advisor database that contains data from April 2009 until Sept 14th 2009.

When upgrading the data was not restored before we starting collecting new data points. So the upgraded instance has perf data from Sept 15th until today.

My customer would like to combime these two databases in order to have the historical data in the backup without losing the data that has been collected since the upgrade.

Is there anything I can do to help save either the old data (by restore or another method) without losing the current data?

lokeshs

There is no way to merge data from in this situation.

A not so good solution is to restore the backup on a separate dfm instance and see the data separately.

~Lokesh

BrendonHiggins

Hi

I just read the last post and have a question:

I would like to upgrade 3.7 to 3.8 and move from physical to a VM.  It is currently hosted on a Windows host.  Should I create OM on the VM as 3.7 then restore the physical backup to the new VM and then upgrade to 3.8?

Thanks

Bren

leroy

Lokesh,

Final question on this topic as a follow up for my customer. They were able to expand the "old" perf files via linux but would like to know if there is any work around to allow the new instance to point to the older data and reference it?

Even if the method is not supported or "ugly" they would be willing to script a solution to save the data. They have already tried to copy the data into the new database but when restarting the NMC the data doesnt show (as expected).

Thanks again!

lokeshs

Currenty there is no way to reference it. Perf data files use dfm's object IDs in their naming convention. The new instance probably has a different set of IDs

Copying will not work.

Did they try to import the old db into a new install of DFM. They can do this on a test server or even a test VM.

If you can share the old db, we can try to extract it in our lab for you.

~Lokesh

leroy

Thanks all for the help. They would prefer not to have two separate instances so they are going to just keep the data and reference if needed.

Public