Subscribe
Accepted Solution

whisper location

Hello,

Whisper default location is "/opt/graphite/storage/whisper". Can I change from this to NFS mount area?

Though I chagend carbon.conf to "LOCAL_DATA_DIR = /mnt/whisper/" and data was coming from harvest, there is no metrics from browser like bellow.

capture.JPG

Re: whisper location

Hi @ogatat

I would not recommend using NFS for holding Graphite's whisper files; it will not perform as well as a local filesystem because of the lack of host filesystem caching and with NFS you will have lots of metadata calls since each metric has it's own db file.  

Regarding the path, if you want to modify the whisper storage location I typically use a symlink instead.  So if you started with a VM with one vdisk and now it's full I would create a new vdisk, stop carbon, move all the files from the current location to the new vdisk, create a symlink at /opt/graphite/storage/whisper pointing to your new vdisk, and restart carbon.

Right now you might not see any metrics because you didn't copy them from the old to new location?

Cheers,

Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!