OpenStack Discussions

Configure Cinder(Havana) to create VM datastore on NetApp Simulator 8.2(7-mode)

CSL_INDIA

Hi,

I need help with configuring Cinder to consume  NetApp’s nfs export.

Given below are settings from my environment:

File

Settings

/etc/cinder/cinder.conf

[DEFAULT]

enabled_backends=7modeDirectNFS

[7modeDirectNFS]

volume_driver= cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.nfs.NetAppDirect7modeNfsDriver

netapp_server_hostname=192.168.0.131

netapp_server_port=80

netapp_login=root

netapp_password=admin@123

nfs_shares_config=/etc/cinder/shares.conf

/etc/cinder/shares.conf

1. 192.168.0.131:/vol/vol_cinder

I see NaApiError: NetApp api failed. Reason - Unexpected error:<urlopen error [Errno 111] ECONNREFUSED> on using  the cinder create command.

Simulator version – 8.2

I had also tried with volume_driver= cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.common.NetAppDriver.

Regards,

Akash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

akerr

Bob is correct, cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.common.NetAppDriver is the correct volume_driver to use starting in Havana.  I have seen the ECONNREFUSED error as well when there is a protocol mismatch.  Make sure when using the common driver that you have the following 2 lines in your driver config:

netapp_storage_family = ontap_7mode

netapp_storage_protocol = nfs

My guess though, is that since the common driver defaults to clustered-mode, you are getting the ECONNREFUSED because the driver is trying to talk to a 7-mode vsim as though it were a cDOT vsim.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rcallawa

volume_driver= cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.common.NetAppDriver is the correct setting that should be used in Havana and subsequent releases. When using the common.NetApp driver, be sure to set the netapp_storage_family=ontap_7mode if your controller is operating in 7-Mode.

The Unexpected error:<urlopen error [Errno 111] ECONNREFUSED> error indicates that there is a network connectivity issue between the Cinder node and your simulator instance. The netapp_server_hostname should be the IP address of the cluster management interface, and be sure that the IP address in the shares.conf file corresponds to the Data LIF from the FlexVol NFS export.

After verifying that you're using the correct IP addresses, please ensure you are able to ping them from the Cinder node, as well as successfully establish a TCP connection to the mgmt interface (e.g. "telnet 192.168.0.131 80").

akerr

Bob is correct, cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.common.NetAppDriver is the correct volume_driver to use starting in Havana.  I have seen the ECONNREFUSED error as well when there is a protocol mismatch.  Make sure when using the common driver that you have the following 2 lines in your driver config:

netapp_storage_family = ontap_7mode

netapp_storage_protocol = nfs

My guess though, is that since the common driver defaults to clustered-mode, you are getting the ECONNREFUSED because the driver is trying to talk to a 7-mode vsim as though it were a cDOT vsim.

CSL_INDIA

Thanks for the quick response Bob/Andrew. Got caught in a customer case, will try netapp_storage_family and netapp_storage_protocol as soon as I get off this issue.

Regards,

Akash

CSL_INDIA

Thanks Bob/Andrew, Cinder is able to consume the NFS from my Simluator.

Appended the following lines to /etc/cinder/cinder.conf:

volume_driver= cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.common.NetAppDriver

netapp_server_hostname=192.168.0.150

netapp_server_port=80

netapp_storage_protocol=nfs

netapp_storage_family=ontap_cluster

netapp_login=admin

netapp_password=*********

nfs_shares_config=/etc/cinder/netapp.nfs

My /etc/cinder/netapp.nfs:

192.168.0.160:/for_cinder

Regards,