Two Pillars for Success: Effective Communication and Teamwork

weera.jpgBy Weera Areerattanasak, Country Manager, NetApp Thailand

As a business leader, we often place a heavy emphasis on sustainable business growth. One key asset in the growth equation that companies should recognize is our employees. Just as much as we strive to offer the best solutions to our customers, we need to create a conducive work place for our employees, one where they can ideate and drive innovation for our customers.

Personally, I find that establishing a healthy corporate culture is paramount to creating an environment where employees feel empowered and motivated. Trust is a key building block for corporate culture, on which open communication and teamwork can be built upon.

1) An Open Culture Builds an Effective Team

An open culture of communication not only helps motivate employees, it ensures that critical information is not filtered out along the way and reaches decision makers before it is too late. I strongly advocate an open communication where we can communicate openly and regularly across the board. This is best exemplified by NetApp’s Open Door Policy where our office design helps foster a free flow of communication for everyone. Additionally, we have an office dinner every quarter, which helps to bring everyone together to celebrate our successes and plan ahead.

2) Building Teamwork Starts with Trusting the Team

I’m a true believer in the saying, “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”. Hence, I entrust my team with responsibilities and decision-making to help foster a sense of ownership and accountability for the task at hand.

Under the Volunteer Time-Off Program, NetApp employees can take up to five paid days off in a calendar year to do volunteer work. Although they can donate their time to any cause they are personally passionate about, I like to encourage my teams to participate in activities together as not only do they contribute back to society, it helps to strengthen teamwork and build camaraderie across the departments. Some of the activities we have in place are blood donation with the Thai Red Cross and donating school materials to remote northern areas of Thailand.

Building an effective team goes beyond just words and corporate mottos. We need to start living our company values. Teamwork and communication allow employees to be more productive and motivated, and inspiring them as part of the team wins on many levels.

Thai office team.jpg