Data Protection - more important than ever!

NetApp product - front grille.jpg

Yesterday we ran a ‘Solutions Insights’ end-user webcast on the topic of Transforming your Data Protection for the 3rd Platform. The discussion kicked off with some stats from industry analysts which clearly showed Backup & Recovery and DR as being some of top challenges that IT leaders are looking to address. I’ve been in the storage business for more years than I care to remember, but it strikes me that backup and recovery is one of those IT challenges that has refused to go away. The good news is that now with cloud based solutions such as NetApp AltaVault things are starting to change by dramatically reducing the cost, risk and time involved in backing up, and even more importantly the restoring data – especially when compared to tape.

FlexClone.jpg

Another area discussed was how NetApp’s Snapshot technology can be a massive help in providing replication and data movement at almost zero storage cost, along with the capability of using NetApp FlexClone to be able to write to replicated copies of production data for dev/test, business intelligence, reporting, and so on.

It’s always challenging on a webcast when time is limited, but one of the key messages that I was keen to get across, is that the basic principles of Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and Recovery Time Objective (RTO) are as important today as they ever were - in fact it could be argued even more so. Using these age-old decision methods to determine the level of protection and recovery required, and at what cost is really key, especially when deciding what workloads you want to run in the cloud where things are outside of your direct control.

Object Storage using StorageGRID Webscale was touched on, but not covered in any detail as we have another ‘Solutions Insights’ webcast scheduled for 24 March at 11:00 CET / 10:00 UK where a senior technical architect and myself and will cover this fast-growing area of storage technology. Look forward to speaking with you then

From the Product, Solutions & Alliances Marketing EMEA team

Martin Warren