The Desktop is dead, long live the Work Space

No surprise that the desktop, as we knew it, is dead ! No longer am I shackled to a big old clunky PC taking up valuable space on my desk, not that I have, or want a desk ! The expectation is that we can display and use our workspaces on a plethora of different devices. Devices of our choice, driven by the global nature of business. Collaboration is now the keyword driving increasing number of mobile working styles, where the requirement to be online at anytime, anyplace anywhere applies (even in the bar with a Martini in your hand, if you don’t understand the connection -you’re too young and YouTube will help!)

Following this continuing trend, the talk is about enterprise mobility where the applications, data and workspace follow the consumer, regardless of the device they happen to have with them. The device is quietly becoming less important. Without really giving it much thought I now use up to five devices to access my business apps and data. This sort of crept up on me and I just accepted it as normal. It is not just the new normal, it’s expected, even assumed.

The demise of the old legacy desktop infrastructure is no surprise as they came with a long list of reasons why they were so expensive to maintain and manage. Notably protecting the locally stored data was a pain. Controlling the leakage of data required patches, software and glue. Yes glue. One organisation I spoke with regularly resorted to gluing the PC USB ports to prevent corporate data leakage onto USB memory sticks. It worked, and was cheap, if a little messy.

Moving to the mobile workspace model does have its own headaches, but many of the data protection and security issues come back into the domain of the datacenter and therefore back under central scrutiny and control. Other issues, such as delivering the contracted performance and response times to mobile workspace users, is more of an issue.

This week I was reading about the increasing number of FAS storage solutions shipping with Flash storage capacity alone, such as the All-SSD FAS. This is no surprise as NetApp have shipped over 60PB of Flash Storage, and well over 60% of the systems sold today include Flash Storage in the mix. Announcement of the new FAS8000 range -  FAS8020, FAS8040 and FAS8060 on the 19th February demonstrates the increasing momentum with a tripling of Flash capacity supported.

This makes perfect sense, especially for workforce mobility (VDI) solutions. NetApp FAS Storage coupling Flash with ONTAP market

leading data management in an All-SSD FAS configuration is a no brainer for this type of workload.

The Flash component delivers high performance and consistent low latency, while Data ONTAP delivers the industry leading functionality to secure and manage data. Critically, FAS and ONTAP are validated and integrated with the key Virtual Desktop  Integration solutions from vendors such as Citrix and VMware. From a business risk perspective this takes many unknowns off the project risk register. If you need more green lights then there are also plenty of success stories that demonstrate the integration in production.

NetApp Customer Showcase Link

Introducing All-SSD FAS into the Workspace / VDI mix and you have the perfect combination of low latency and high performance coupled with robust, proven, data management through Data ONTAP. This immediately gives you the tools to deliver the performance VDI workloads demand.