Citrix Synergy 2014 Wrap Up

Synergy 2014

Looking back at Citrix Synergy, 2014, I can’t remember the last time an event went by in such a flash. It seemed to be over so quickly, especially when I consider how long and hard the NetApp team worked on getting us to Anaheim this year. There are certainly too many great things to list here, but I wanted to provide a list of the biggest highlights, from end to start. If you attended, I hope you got as much out of Synergy as I did, and if you weren’t  able to attend, I’m hopeful that the information below provides at least a glimpse of all the cool new solutions unveiled at the show. (If you'd like a more complete list of everything we did at Synergy, go here.)

Imagine Dragons. Live. As the closing act after 3 days of networking, training, and presentations, this was the perfect way to close out an amazing event. Front row, up against the rail, was yours truly, and it was so loud my clothes were vibrating from the music. I must’ve been 20 feet from Dan Reynolds, lead singer for Imagine Dragons. My ears are still ringing.

Proudest Moment. Best of Synergy, Cloud Category. Virtual Storage Console for Apache CloudStack. Credit all goes to our amazing product team and especially David La Motta, for all their dedication and hard work on an amazing product, and to all those attendees that voted for our entry. I’m proud to be part of this team. Our product was selected and won against a solid group of more than a dozen other submissions, including those from BitDefender, Nexenta, SolidFire, Tintri, and Trend Micro. Congrats!

Citrix TV. Citrix will be hosting videos showcasing our joint integrations on CitrixTV. NetApp was given the opportunity to talk about our participation in the

Citrix Ready Program and show how we achieved $37 per desktop. Another videos captures a discussion of our latest all Flash FAS offering, which provides faster performance than a desktop with enterprise availability and DR for your apps and data. I’m glad to see the discussion move beyond cost/performance per desktop (as GunnarBerger noted at Synergy during his session) and on to include enterprise availability, manageability, and disaster recovery, all critical to successful desktop virtualization projects.

Attendance and keynote. 5,000+ customers and partners showed up in Anaheim this year, and on the opening keynote, the pre-event buzz was evident. Citrix rolled out a new category called Mobile Workspaces—solutions that enable people to work anywhere, on any device, over any network or cloud, with full access to the apps, desktops, files and services their work relies on. “The ultimate mobile device: YOU” resonated with engaged audience. NetApp was more than happy to share how their solutions provide the foundation for enabling mobile workspaces, with our sessions and demos throughout the event. I will provide more details here as we post our demos and other videos. Stay tuned.

We are excited about the things to come over the next 12 months, and into our NetApp’s new fiscal year.  Bye, Synergy, for now. Until next year! See you May 12-14, 2015 in Orlando, Florida.