Women of NetApp: Betsey Pashayan, 2016 CRN Women of the Channel Honoree

Betsey Pashayan | NetAppAs the director of Global Partner Marketing, Betsey Pashayan leveraged more than a decade of experience in the channel to develop a global partner marketing team focused on enabling demand generation for partners across solution priorities. Pashayan led the creation of affordable platforms and consistent programs that allow partners to focus on generating demand to accelerate the growth of their business. In recognition of her accomplishments, CRN honored Pashayan as one of the 2016 Women of the Channel, and also named her to their Power 100 list.

We sat down with Betsey to learn more about her accomplishments at NetApp and her advice for young women in the workplace.

Q: Can you tell us more about your role at NetApp and what you recently accomplished?

I joined NetApp to build a global team chartered with supporting marketing to, through, with and for channel and distribution partners. My main focus is to make it easier for partners to drive demand across solution priorities by delivering clear campaigns that partners can execute with ease. I achieved this by creating tailored programs for partners that emphasized demand generation, digital content, and social media. I increased engagement with partners by leading the creation of affordable platforms and an efficient digital content repository that lets partners find what they need, when they need it.

Q: What advice would you give to young women in the workplace?

One of my favorite quotes by Wynton Marsalis is “Live in that sweet spot. Be Present”. To me, being present is the key to success and happiness. If you commit to something, try to avoid distraction. Priorities constantly compete for our attention and we often risk thinking we can only get by if we multi-task. But that has its share of risk. When you are with family and friends, give them your attention. If you are in a meeting, listen, engage and participate. Never put yourself in a situation where your response is ‘I never heard that’ to someone who knew you were in the meeting where it was discussed in the first place. That’s a quick way to lose the credibility you work so hard to build.

Q: Who is your female role model and why?

My grandmother. At the age of 16, she left Sweden completely alone, bound for America with no plan for survival or success. I channel her indomitable spirit, which taught me that as long as I have a vision for success, I can figure out the path to get there. This ultimately became my mantra: ‘I may not know what to do right now, but I’ll figure it out.”

Q: What programs/initiatives does NetApp offer to support women in the workplace?

NetApp has a Women in Technology (WIT) group, which gives colleagues insight into the accomplishments of other women while also providing them with an opportunity to network and learn through mentorship. We collaborate with Alliance partners on our WIT program by creating unique experiences for women attending industry events, for example. NetApp also invests in women by sponsoring our growth through both internal and external development and training programs. An added benefit is the company’s volunteer time off program, which enables each employee to volunteer up to five consecutive days per year, with full pay, during regular business hours to support the nonprofit organizations or schools of their choice. This added flexibility is great for employees who have children in school, or employees who are passionate about a charitable organization.  

To view the complete list of CRN’s 2016 Women of the Channel, visit their website.  Learn more about fellow NetApp honorees, Maria Olson and Debra Sperling.