Simulator Discussions

Need help to get license for Simulator 8.2 7-Mode

JUNEWEN2008

Hi,

I need someone to  help me to get license for Simulator 8.2 7-Mode. I am new to NetApp and start to learn it using a newest Simulator 8.2. I have created aggr, volumes, qtree, cifs shares. But I have problem to access the share using the build-in administrator account from the adm host. It never pass the authentication window.

I believe I met the same issue showed in this threads

https://communities.netapp.com/message/110462#110462

Then I found there is no licesen at all.  I suspected this is the cause.

My questions are:

1) Why can I create CIFS share without a CIFS license?

2) How can I get the full licese using on Simulator 8.2? I couldn't find it in the Simulator package or the <Simulate_ONTAP_8.2_Installation_and_Setup_Guide>?

Thanks very much in advance.

netapptest1> version

NetApp Release 8.2 7-Mode: Tue May 21 05:58:22 PDT 2013

netapptest1> license

Serial Number: 4079432-74-8

Owner: netapptest1

No licenses are installed

netapptest1> useradmin user list

Name: root

Info: Default system administrator.

Rid: 0

Groups:

Name: administrator

Info: Built-in account for administering the filer

Rid: 500

Groups: Administrators

netapptest1> rdfile /etc/passwd

root:_J9..kl9wpGwBOb5YQm.:0:1::/:

pcuser::65534:65534::/:

nobody::65535:65535::/:

ftp::65533:65533:FTP Anonymous:/home/ftp:

I did some research from the Internet, seems we have some license code based on the following thread:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/5343.

But it didn't work, I guess it only applied to 7.2.4:

netapptest1> license add DZDACHD

license add: invalid license key "DZDACHD", license keys must be 28 or 42 letters in length.

I also found someone alreadh had the license for 8.2 7-Mode:

https://communities.netapp.com/thread/29846

BTW, I didn't change the serial number so far.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DINESHJAISANKAR

Unlike older releases, the license keys are node locked now.  You must use a serial number that has a published set of corresponding licenses.  Right now, there are 5 sets.  2 for 7 mode, and 3 for cluster mode.  In the documentation some are listed as being for esx vs workstation, the serials numbers and license keys will work on either platform.  Also, if you need more 7 mode instances, the C-mode key sets also work in 7 mode. 

The only way to use some other random serial number, is to build it on 8.1.x, apply all the 8.1.x keys, and then perform an OnTap upgrade within the simulator. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DINESHJAISANKAR

Unlike older releases, the license keys are node locked now.  You must use a serial number that has a published set of corresponding licenses.  Right now, there are 5 sets.  2 for 7 mode, and 3 for cluster mode.  In the documentation some are listed as being for esx vs workstation, the serials numbers and license keys will work on either platform.  Also, if you need more 7 mode instances, the C-mode key sets also work in 7 mode. 

The only way to use some other random serial number, is to build it on 8.1.x, apply all the 8.1.x keys, and then perform an OnTap upgrade within the simulator. 

DINESHJAISANKAR

JUNEWEN2008

Thanks Dinesh, I got the license files from the support site. After this, I can ACCESS and Write to CIFS share now which is so exciting!

THANKS VERY MUCH!

Public