Simulator Discussions

ONTAP 9.0 Simulator - root volume issues - boot loop

r5a

Hello,

I have a NetApp ONTAP 9 simulator running in an ESX enviroment at home in a home lab as a single node. Recently lost power. I noticed my iSCSI stores wern't mounting.
Went to investigate and I noticed that my NetApp was booting but had root volume recovery needed

I was able to log in, and check the volumes and aggros - none had space issues from snapshots. all the errors seemed to be pointing to nvram issues.

Tried clearing the unsetenv bootarg.init.boot_recovery - still didn't work

Ran walfiron at the boot menu and now it appears to have orphaned every single disk and is even in a worse state - boot loops. Before I could atleast see my aggros as online and everything.

Am I screwed? I can only get to the maintenance mode boot

2 REPLIES 2

SeanHatfield

The nvram in the sim is non-persistent, so a poorly timed host crash can be a challenge to recover from.   What errors are you seeing now?  And were you sending your cluster backups to an ftp server?  It might not be recoverable at this point.  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

r5a

Hi Sean,

Thanks for replying and sorry for the late response - been on vacation. 

Unfortunately no backups - this was just a lab/training environment with a couple of VMs. I suppose it won't be too much of a pain to restore what was lost but I was hoping I could find some drastic measures to see if there's any way to get it restored to working order. 

When I do an aggr status I see aggr1_data state in partial, and aggr0_sys partial as well. I'm assuming this is whats causing the boot problems as no root volume is found.

Every disk has an error

"Orphaning disk because of a generation count mismatch" which I assume offlines the disk or takes it out of the aggr as working properly? Is there anyway to force the disks to be online?

Anything I can do? 

Public