Simulator Discussions

SIM 8.1 - System ID change.

kborovik

Dear SIM Developers,

Can SIM 8.1 behave as SIM 8.0.1 when it comes to changing "System Serial Number" and "System ID"?

In SIM 8.0.1, if "System Serial Number" has been changed, "System ID" is changed as well, see the screenshot.

In SIM 8.1, "System ID" remains the same.

Inability to change "System ID" prevents SIM8.1 testing with DFM. This is very serious inconvenience.

SIM 8.0.1 is very simple to clone. Simple cloning procedure significantly reduces Proof Of Concepts configuration time, thus aiding faster project delivery.

Konstantin Borovik

Professional Services Engineer

NetApp

647-352-0313 Direct Phone

416-670-0621 Mobile Phone

kborovik@netapp.com

7 REPLIES 7

hferdina

Hi Konstantin,

I've the same problem and find the folowing solution, and this works fine for me...

During the first boot of a newly installed simulateur, go to SIMLOADER, then :

SIMLOADER> set bootarg.nvram.sysid=1111111111

SIMLOADER> set SYS_SERIAL_NUM=1111111-11-1

SIMLOADER> boot

After, perform the initial setup as usual, and you should have a systemid different than the other one.

I've tried this with a already configured simulator... Never start again

Hope this help

kborovik

Herve,

SIM801 does not crash if 'System ID' has been changed. In other words, preconfigured SIM801 can be cloned. Unfortunately, I cannot easily clone SIM810. I forced to test everything on SIM801.

What are the consequences of this? In my mind, the consequences are very serious. Systems Engineers cannot test and learn DataONTAP in cluster mode, thus cannot reliably deliver complex NetApp configurations.

LEWIS_LONG

I have the same problem and haven't seen the solution. I can change the SYS_SERIAL_NUM and it sticks. However, changes to the bootarg.nvram.sysid did not stick after first installations. Changing the bootarg.nvram.sysid after first installation crashed the system. Any thoughts would be helpful because while I can bring up the system in OnCommand Sys Manager, DFM doesn't work.

Thanks
Lew

ashley_thrift

I know this is an old post... but has anyone found a solution to this?

Cheers.

-Ash-

pzi123456

Bump...

The same issue here.  Any solutions?

tardie

From the 8.1 readme (do this before initializing disks on second node):

Assigning a New System ID to a Cluster Node

===========================================

If you are setting up two nodes in your cluster, you will need to perform an additional step on the second node. This is because the storage system "System ID" is hardcoded in the provided Simulate ONTAP image. Each Simulate ONTAP node in a cluster must have a unique System ID.

Note: If you are setting up only a single node you do not need to perform this step.

Setting the System ID

---------------------

IMPORTANT: You must enter the two following commands BEFORE the Simulate ONTAP node boots up for the first time.

Follow the steps below to change the System ID and System Serial Number for the second node:

1. Once you start the Simulate ONTAP node, the system will begin the boot up process in 10 seconds unless you interrupt it. You will see the following information on the console:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

Booting in 10 seconds...

2. Press any key other than the Enter key to interrupt the boot process. You will see the following information:

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.

SIMLOADER>

3. Enter the following commands to set the Serial Number and System ID for this node:

SIMLOADER> setenv SYS_SERIAL_NUM 4034389-06-2

SIMLOADER> setenv bootarg.nvram.sysid 4034389062

4. Enter the following commands to verify that the information was saved correctly:

SIMLOADER> printenv SYS_SERIAL_NUM

4034389-06-2

SIMLOADER> printenv bootarg.nvram.sysid

5. Now enter the "boot" command to boot up the node:

SIMLOADER> boot

Your Simulate ONTAP node will now boot up normally using the new System ID and Serial Number. You can proceed with the Cluster Setup wizard to define the IP addresses that will be used for the node.

pzi123456

Great! - so the 'set' was replaced with 'setenv' in 8.1.  And all this in that separate link below Setup Guide called Cluster_Setup_Note http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/ontap/8.1/cluster_setup_note.txt .

thanks!

-Peter

Public