Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

Second 8.1.2 Simulator PANIC: Can't find device with WWN 0x428283648

[ Edited ]

Trying to fire up my second 8.1.2 sim on ESX 4.1, have changed the S/N and sysid, but didn't use what was in the install doc, just changed the last number from "9" to "8".

The document (yes, the 8.1.2 version) doesn't address the question that comes up on next boot "Override system id? {y|n} [n]"   I answered "y" - should it be "n"?  After doing this, on next boot, printenv still seems to report the corrected numbers.

Trying this again with the S/N and sysid in the doc, but not expecting different results...  nope, same thing.  If I answer "n" it just says "correct the problem and reboot".

More of the error message:   "Remove '/sim/dev/,disks/,reservations' and restart.  in SK process vha_disk_resv on release 8.1.2 (C)...."

Re: Second 8.1.2 Simulator PANIC: Can't find device with WWN 0x428283648

you need to change the SL number during first boot of New Simulator , and Ctrl-C to boot menu , option 4 for clean config ,fresh config

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/ontap/8.1/cluster_setup_note.txt

Ok, well I did that - please re-read my first line.  Only as I mentioned, I didn't use the numbers in the install document. If for some reason this change isn't made properly on "first boot" of the second instance, what happens?  Is it trashed somehow?  Do I need to make a new copy of the files? 

I've tried changing those numbers several times now, and I keep getting the same panic after getting to the boot menu and selecting #4.

Thanks -Dave

Hi Dave,

>I keep getting the same panic after getting to the boot menu and selecting #4.

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of panic . we could help more better

also can you show us the printenv output.

-Srinivas

Thanks David,

Screenshot looks fine.

Are you able to reach boot menu (by pressing Control+C) and Can you paste a screenshot after you press option 4 on boot menu

Option 4 ideally would cleanup and initialize (reboot)

-srinivas

I'm getting to the boot menu, and trying option 4. That's when I get the panic:

Wondering if there is a problem with the actual files on the datastore. When I used the Upload from the Datastore Browser, it didn't look like all the files were getting copied, so in at least one case I logged into the ESX CLI and untarred the sim tarball there. That might have preserved some incorrect permissions or something....?

Same issue here.  Tried changing serial number as with 8.1.1 vsim and kaboom.

Is this still necessary?  I thought this changing of the sysid/serial was a workaround to System Manager's inability to differentiate 2 vsims.

Can it be fixed there, instead? 

wes

If you volume snapmirror between two systems you will have the same issue, it isn't just an issue with System Manager.  Any process that takes the sysid/serial into account will see this issue.

-Scott

I have  the same problem. Can Netapp spend two sim downloads with two different S/N already configured?

Klaus