Simulator Discussions

Simulate_ONTAP_8.3 Cluster Mode: CIFS Server/Shares not accessible.

caminosoft

Forgive me, I am not a NetApp person.  I'm setting up a virtual simulator for my developers to do their thing in creating functionality for their software...very simple setup for them...

The problem I am having is I cannot access my CIFS shares on the CIFS Server from anywhere on my network

External virtual systems are:

• VMWare ESXi 6
  • Windows 2012 A/D, DNS, DHCP

I've been successful with the following...

• Creating Single node cluster (all that is required).
  • Creating Second aggregate
  • Creating SVM with assigned subnet/nic
  • Creating vols on SVM
  • Configuring the SVM for CIFS (added to Windows 2012 AD domain)

I cannot see the CIFS server nor it's shares...even the C$.

To me it appears the shares are not properly being shared out by Winders.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Some information

CAMINO::> vserver cifs show
            Server          Status    Domain/Workgroup Authentication
Vserver     Name            Admin     Name             Style
----------- --------------- --------- ---------------- --------------
camino-02   CDOT-HSM        up        SBC              domain

CAMINO::> vserver cifs share show
Vserver        Share         Path              Properties Comment  ACL
-------------- ------------- ----------------- ---------- -------- -----------
camino-02      admin$        /                 browsable  -        -
camino-02      c$            /                 oplocks    -        BUILTIN\Administrators / Full Control
                                               browsable
                                               changenotify
camino-02      eng           /home/eng         oplocks    -        Everyone / Full Control
                                               browsable
                                               changenotify
camino-02      finance       /home/finance     oplocks    -        Everyone / Full Control
                                               browsable
                                               changenotify
camino-02      home          /home             oplocks    -        Everyone / Full Control
                                               browsable
                                               changenotify
camino-02      ipc$          /                 browsable  -        -
6 entries were displayed.

CAMINO::>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

An incorrect NIS configuration can prevent CIFS from working.  If NIS is configured on the SVM make sure the nis domain and nis server are valid, and the nis server is operational.  If NIS is not in use, then either ommit nis from the ns-switch option or place it at the end of the list (file,nis).  In this case the nisdomain should be blank.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VijayaBhaskarReddy

Difficult to figure out the problem unless we have more details.

I would recommend to follow the below guides provide in the link @ http://mysupport.netapp.com/documentation/docweb/index.html?productID=61689

Clustered_Data_ONTAP_82_CIFSSMB_Server.pdf

Clustered_Data_ONTAP_82_SMB_File_Access_Express.pdf

The above link and guides are for 8.2. For 8.3, follow @ http://mysupport.netapp.com/documentation/docweb/index.html?productID=61885

These are express guides (which are few 10s of pages) which provide a quick n easy way to setup CIFS in clustered Data ONTAP. 

caminosoft

Thanks,

I'll review and report back when finished...

SeanHatfield

A few things to check:

1. Make sure the time in the sim matches the time on your domain

2. Be sure you are using different names for each SVM you configure CIFS for when you join it to AD.  A computer account is created for the SVM and they need to be unique.

3. You may need to create DNS entries so your clients can find the SVM.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

caminosoft

Sean,

Thanks for the suggestions...

• Sim time matches domain time.
  • Only need the one... So always using unique name for each SVM configuring CIFS for joining to AD.
  • I manually go in and add the DNS entry.  Can ping the IP addy as well as the dns name

I don't think I'm terribly off on this.  But I did find an interesting "anomaly"

My developer creates his vserver with an "NIS Switch" (vserver create -vserver camino-02 -rootvolume root_vs0 -aggregate aggr1 -ns-switch nis -rootvolume-security-style ntfs -language C.UTF-8)

1. Not sure NIS Switch / Domain is actually necessary in this case.  I've had this all setup successfully before without them and was able to map drives to the shares.  I say that because by enabling diag trace logging (diag secd trace set -node local -trace-all yes), I was finally able to get an event log after failing to map to the volumes...
  2. Not sure it's the user mapping.  Have not needed it is successful attempts before.  That leaves the question of NIS within this rabbit hole.

Greatly appreciated...
Stuart

• secd.cifsAuth.noNameMap: vserver (camino-02) CIFS name to UNIX name mapping problem. Error: User authentication procedure failed [ 21] User 'SBC\stuart' authenticated using NTLMv2 security [ 21] Trying to map 'SBC\stuart' to UNIX user 'stuart' using implicit mapping **[ 23] FAILURE: 'NisDomain' configuration not available [ 23] NIS configuration not found for Vserver 4 [ 23] No servers available for NIS, vserver: 4, domain: . [ 23] NIS configuration not found for Vserver 4 [ 23] No servers available for NIS, vserver: 4, domain: . [ 23] Source: NIS unavailable. Entry for user-name:stuart not found in any of the available sources [ 23] Trying to map user to the default UNIX name 'pcuser' [ 23] NIS configuration not found for Vserver 4 [ 23] No servers available for NIS, vserver: 4, domain: . [ 23] NIS configuration not found for Vserver 4 [ 23] No servers available for NIS, vserver: 4, domain: . [ 24] Source: NIS unavailable. Entry for user-name:pcuser not found in any of the available sources
     Message Name :secd.cifsAuth.noNameMap
     Sequence Number :4473
     Description :This message occurs when a CIFS authentication succeeds, but system cannot map the Windows user to an appropriate UNIX user.
     Action :Examine the failure details to determine corrective action. Common failures include no appropriate Windows-to-UNIX name mapping rules, no configured default UNIX user, or the inability of the     
system to communicate with NS-SWITCH authorization sources.

SeanHatfield

An incorrect NIS configuration can prevent CIFS from working.  If NIS is configured on the SVM make sure the nis domain and nis server are valid, and the nis server is operational.  If NIS is not in use, then either ommit nis from the ns-switch option or place it at the end of the list (file,nis).  In this case the nisdomain should be blank.

caminosoft

Thanks for the help.  I believe I got it.  I compared the creation of the SVM via command line with the NIS options against the SVM creation via the OnCommand GUI and noticed a difference in the way the nis was being enabled.  So I will revisit the nis options during creation on another lab simulator to determine the correct syntax.

Smiley Happy

All volumes/shares are now available on the network as expected.

Thanks. 

Public