Simulator Discussions

Upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 using ESX

JGPSHNTAP

Has anyone have any success doing an upgrade with a two node simulator in ESX?

We happen to be testing a D release of 9.2 but we are having issues with the network backend keep dropping out on us.

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13

SeanHatfield

Are you doing it from within ontap, or are you doing option 7?

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

JGPSHNTAP

Doing it from the CLI

SeanHatfield

I did a single node upgrade yesterday from the ontap cli.  'system node image get' took 5-6 minutes, but this is the phase where its downloading to mroot.  % complelte seemed to hang at several points, but mroot is on simulated disks so writes are expected to be slow.  Mine is on an SSD so it didn't take too long but on an HDD that could take a while.  'system node image update' went pretty quick.  With reboots the whole process was 15-20 minutes.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

JGPSHNTAP

We did Single nodes with no issue.  We are testing 9.2D2

When we had two nodes together that is when all heck broke loose

SeanHatfield

IHAC that needs to do this as well, so I'll be trying that scenario shortly.  What errors are you getting?

JGPSHNTAP

the cluster database was out of qourum continuously.   Then once we thought we had it up, we lost one nodes back-end cluster network.    

We also had to increase vol0, which isn't a big deal.  We pushed 9.1 OVA"s 3x, clustered them in the config, and then managed to blow it up each time.

Hence, whey I need to keep it on single-node for testing

SeanHatfield

How much ram do your nodes have?

So far so good on my test case, but I'm not on the D patch.  How long did it take to fall over?

JGPSHNTAP

8GB of ram

sometimes it happened right away, sometimes it happen the next day

SeanHatfield

I'm curious now, so I'll put the debug patch on this pair and see if it misbehaves.

But, have you disabled snaps on the root aggrs and root vols? 

JGPSHNTAP

I don't recalling disabling snaps.. I will have to ask my co-worker.  Is that required?  

SeanHatfield

Simulator root aggrs are tiny, and a lot of stuff lands there now.  If it can't write to mroot it can't sync the RDBs.  Disabling those snaps can keep it from filling up when things like asup bundles, logs, stats, and config backups get created by built in scheduled processes.   You probably also have at least one image sitting in the mroot.  Check 'system node image package show' and 'df -h vol0'. 

JGPSHNTAP

I will let you know how I make out with the testing on single-node with the SIM. I'm specifically working with Development on this D patch.

SeanHatfield

For what it's worth, my two node on the D patch is still going.

Public