Simulator Discussions

VM Fusion 8.5.7 running on Mac Sierra 10.12.5

jasonp

Hi -

I am trying to install the Sim 9.1 OVA on Fusion 8.5.7 but get an error 'cannot open env/env' - a screen shot of the boot error and subsequent text is attached.

The same OVA is working fine on VMware Player on Windows 10.

Does anyone have any idea what is casuing the issue and how to fix ?

Thanks in advance...

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

I just tested on mine to verify, and virtualHW version 10 works, version 11 does not.  The OVA file calls out version 7, so that is what should be created at import, and it is for me on Fusion 8.5.7.   Version 11 and newer cause the boot device to be detected as disk0 instead of disk1 by the loader.  The same thing happens when you try to bring one up on virtualbox.  Adding a blank floppy drive fixes the ordering, but on vmware its easier just to use VM hardware version 7.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jasonp

I have just rolled the hardware comatibility back from 12 to 7 which has allowed the VM to boot sucessfully.

beltahche

Hi Jason,

This has been an issue with the simulators for a long time that I have noticed.

Back in the day, there was a floppy drive in the FAS controllers, then they moved to CF cards.

The simulator still looks for this device for boot.

To get it to work, I created a dummy floppy file and named it "dummy_floppy_drive.flp".

Before starting the simulator, I added a floppy drive and pointed it to the dummy floppy file.

Started up the simulator and it boots.

I have been using this method for a while now and works fine.

I didn't upgrade the vmtools when it first booted though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Barry.

forgot to add:  i'm also running 10.12.5 on my mac pro and fusion 8.5.7.

SeanHatfield

I just tested on mine to verify, and virtualHW version 10 works, version 11 does not.  The OVA file calls out version 7, so that is what should be created at import, and it is for me on Fusion 8.5.7.   Version 11 and newer cause the boot device to be detected as disk0 instead of disk1 by the loader.  The same thing happens when you try to bring one up on virtualbox.  Adding a blank floppy drive fixes the ordering, but on vmware its easier just to use VM hardware version 7.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

jasonp

Thanks Barry and Sean Man Very Happy

Public