Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

How to query fan information for monitoring? (NETAPP 8.1.2)

bernhards

I want to make a perl or pyhton programm for nagios that can query the fan information from the netapp. I tried a normal SNMP walk and was able to get the information with the number .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.21.1.2.1.62

So I downloaded the SDK but there is no sample to get the fan info. My other idea is to write a bash script with a simple snmpwalk but I have read that you should prefer the SDK way because of the performance.

3 REPLIES 3

asulliva

For clustered Data ONTAP (8.3.1) you'll need to invoke the "environment-sensors-get-iter" API and specify a sensor type of "fan".  Here is an example using PowerShell:

$fans = Invoke-NcSystemApi '<environment-sensors-get-iter><sensor-type>fan</sensor-type></environment-sensors-get-iter>'
$fans.results.'attributes-list'.'environment-sensors-info' | ?{ $_.'threshold-sensor-state' -ne "normal" }

I can't find an API for 7-mode, so you may have to use SNMP.  There is a large number of Nagios examples on their site, which is a mixed bag of SNMP and API based checks and may be a good template to get started with.

Hope that helps!

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

bernhards

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your hint. I already tried 3 netapp plugins but unfortunataly they didn't work. I looked the nagios exchange and found this plugin.

It does work very well even if it should be for nagios 3. 🙂

Thanks for your help,

Bernhard

asulliva

If it works, use it!  There's no real harm in using SNMP unless you're doing many, many queries simultaneously, which will result in a spike in CPU utilization.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public