Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Nearly ALL Volume Performance Counters deprecated .... where do I get this info now ?

akitsen

Looks like nearly all useful performance metrics via Performance volume counters have now been deprecated.

Here's a few that are reported by the API output that are deprecated. 

Throughput:

<counter-info>
<desc>Note: This counter is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Bytes read per second from the volume</desc>
<is-deprecated>true</is-deprecated>
<name>read_data</name>
<privilege-level>admin</privilege-level>
<properties>rate</properties>
<unit>b_per_sec</unit>
</counter-info>

Latency:

<counter-info>
<base-counter>read_ops</base-counter>
<desc>Note: This counter is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Average latency in microseconds for the WAFL filesystem to process read request to the volume; not including request processing or network communication time</desc>
<name>read_latency</name>
<properties>average</properties>
<unit>microsec</unit>
</counter-info>

IOPS:
<counter-info>
<desc>Note: This counter is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Number of reads per second to the volume</desc>
<name>read_ops</name>
<properties>rate</properties>
<unit>per_sec</unit>
</counter-info>

Where can this information be pulled from now via the API?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ZekeS

Would be great to know what ONTAP version you are using

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZekeS

Would be great to know what ONTAP version you are using

akitsen

Incredibly late reply, but I figured it all out.

mattS555

This post is the top of a google search for "netapp volume counter deprecated".  Would you mind sharing what you figured out?

akitsen

@mattS555 wrote:

This post is the top of a google search for "netapp volume counter deprecated".  Would you mind sharing what you figured out?

I do remember that though many of the counters were deprecated, performance data was still available. This goes for both 7mode and CDOT.

Some of the object names changed slightly, so I had to adjust to that, but otherwise I was able to extract the data via the API.

mattS555

Thanks for the quick response.  I misunderstood your original post, you assumed they had already been depricated.  I still havent found what will eventually replace them; if a replacement exists at all.

Public