Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Using 5.1 NM SDK with Certificate based authentication against cluster mode 8.2

amarumoto

Hello all, I am attempting to use the 5.1 NM SDK via Perl to automate some processes against a cluster mode 8.2 vServer. Based on the SDK documentation for the "NaServer::set_style" method my options for authentication against the filer are LOGIN, HOSTS, or CERTIFICATE. Since this is cluster mode and there is no longer a /etc/hosts.equiv file that means all I can use are LOGIN and CERTIFICATE. If I choose LOGIN I can access all of the functions of the API and everything works perfectly, however I don't really want to have to embed a username and password inside of a script.

I followed the article below to get CERTIFICATE authentication setup. I can tell that the CERTIFICATE authentication is working because I can use the API 'system-get-version' object to retrieve the version and other attributes from the vServer. However if I attempt to use any of the volume related APIs such as 'volume-get-iter' or 'volume-clone-get' I receive a failed results status from the NaServer::invoke_elem method with a reason of 'not authorized for that command'. It appears that there may only be a limited set of API functionality when using CERTIFICATE authentication over LOGIN.

Has anyone had success using CERTIFICATE authetication against an 8.2 cluster mode vServer? any insight would be appreciated! thanks!

https://communities.netapp.com/community/interfaces_and_tools/developer/blog/2013/07/30/using-sdk-with-certificate-based-authentication-cba

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aashray

Hi,

You can access all APIs and have no limit on access if you use CBA as the "admin" user.

Basically while creating the certificate give the common-name as : admin

Then using "security login create" command create a user with username "admin" , application as "ontapi" and authmethod as "cert".

This should make it work.

I have also updated the article at : https://communities.netapp.com/community/interfaces_and_tools/developer/blog/2013/07/30/using-sdk-with-certificate-based-authentication-cba

Thanks for pointing this out.

Hope I helped.

Please let me know.

Best Regards

Aashray Arora

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Public