Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Volume Deduplication API Fail

michael_england

I'm having trouble enabling deduplication (volume efficiency) though the Java API, although I suspect it's the same problem no matter what language you're using.  Essentially I'm running into this when I try to run "sis-enable":

Insufficient privileges: user 'vsadmin' does not have write access to this resource

When I look at the vsadmin role, sure enough it doesn't have volume efficiency enabled.  The bad part is, I can't modify the security attributes for a built in role, and I can't run this at the cluster level from the API.  This has been discussed on another post 2 years ago:

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/How-to-grant-VServer-Admin-privs-to-enable-SIS-on-a-volume/m-p/60433/highlight/true#M14227

1) Create a new user and role just for this function... this isn't really going to work for me because of other security issues

2) Use 'system-cli' to get around the problem, but I can't seem to get this to work at all.  I decided to back off to the simplest command I can find:

NaElement request = new NaElement("system-cli");

NaElement args = new NaElement("args");

args.addNewChild("arg", "version");

request.addChildElem(args);

response = server.invokeElem(request);

And what I get back is:

<cli-result-value>0</cli-result-value>

... nothing

Anyone with an idea of how to enable deduplication through the API without having to create a new role / user?

In case it matters, I'm running CDOT 8.3.1 with manageontap-5.4

6 REPLIES 6

asulliva

The output from the command is in the "cli-output" element, not "cli-result-value".

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

michael_england

Here's the full output if the last was confusing:

<results status='passed'>

<cli-output/>

<cli-result-value>0</cli-result-value>

</results>

Can you post an example request just to get the system version?  That might help me form a query for managing the deduplication process.

asulliva

I did some more testing and I believe this is because vsadmin doesn't have permission to access system-cli by default.

2016-03-03 13_20_14-Windows PowerShell ISE.png

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

michael_england

Yes, that is my original problem.  So my workaround is to use system-cli but I can't get that to work either, even for a simple 'version' call.

asulliva

Yep...vsadmin can't use sis-enable or system-cli apis without modifying permissions.

You can enable the volume efficiency permissions for vsadmin using this ClusterShell command:

security login role modify -vserver mySVM -role vsadmin -cmddirname "volume efficiency" -access all

The default access level is "none" if you want to reset it.

Andrew

michael_england

You can't modify a pre-defined role.

---

security login role modify -vserver myvserver -role vsadmin -cmddirname "volume efficiency" -access all

Error: command failed: Cannot modify pre-defined roles.

---

And it isn't practical for me to add another role / account.  Which is how I ended up with system-cli, which doesn't work for me.

Public