7-Mode Transition Tool 2.0 – Available Now!

Last week, NetApp released its latest version of Data ONTAP, version 8.3. It’s a little something awesome that we make available to help our customers maximize their business outcomes. It includes all kinds of goodness you can learn about here. Well, to support transioning to this new version of Data ONTAP, NetApp is releasing today a new version of the 7-Mode Transition Tool or 7MTT. 7MTT version 2.0 enables simplified transitions from prior versions of Data ONTAP running in 7-Mode to clustered Data ONTAP. There’s a whole lot of goodness in this bad boy. So, I'll just share some of the highlights.

7MTT 2.0.png

Automated and Comprehensive

• Automates migration (data and configuration) from NetApp® Data ONTAP® environment operating in 7-Mode to clustered Data ONTAP environment
  • Performs comprehensive set of prechecks to verify transition readiness

Maintains Efficiencies

• Preserves deduplication and data compression storage efficiency savings as well as NetApp Snapshot™ copies

Simple to Use and Cost-Effective

• Simplifies workflow with an easy-to-use web-based interface (GUI)
  • Allows migration from 7-Mode 8.1.1+ to clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 in a single step
  • Does not require a license; no charge

Minimally Disruptive

• Final resync of data is needed only during storage cutover.
  • On-demand NetApp SnapMirror® incremental update feature for all volumes reduces cutover time.
  • Configuration is applied prior to transition, so cutover is tighter.

You can download Windows or Linux versions of the 7MTT 2.0 from the NetApp Support Site.

Get yourself up to speed with the latest by reading these informative resources:

Happy ONTAPping.

Comments
New Contributor

Looks like I may not be able to edit my original post.

I wanted to highlight a couple of things that I forgot to mention, that happen to be pretty important.

1) Block and file protocols are now supported with the 7MTT 2.0

2) Transition for MetroCluster configurations is also supported

3) Thin provisioning is also preserved during transition along with Snapshots, compression and deduplication. So, all interesting config information.

This tool is very easy to use and pretty comprehensive. Simplifies transitioning to clustered Data ONTAP, which is where you want to be.

Best,

Jason

Thanks for the update. supporting Thin provisioned volumes is a must offcourse.

Would it be possible to migrate a single NAS volume with while preserving of the share and its share security without transfering the whole system?

Tomas