Community

Announcing New Functionality for Data ONTAP Edge

Interest in NetApp Data ONTAP Edge has been nothing short of awesome, and continues to increase. Data ONTAP Edge allows organizations to extend the enterprise storage services of their data center to remote and branch offices, as well as space constrained environments where capacity requirements are modest and local IT resources are not available. Data ONTAP Edge is a full version of Data ONTAP, NetApp’s leading storage operating system, deployed in a virtual machine. It is essentially, a NetApp virtual storage appliance and is very powerful. And it even gets better.

Today, we are announcing new functionality for Data ONTAP Edge that will be made available through a new product model, Data ONTAP Edge-T. The new functionality includes a SnapMirror license, which allows for bi-directional replication of storage volumes between Data ONTAP Edge and another NetApp storage system, such as a FAS or V-Series. With this new functionality, you can deploy disaster recovery services through the integrated data protection tools available in Data ONTAP.

Also announced today is enhanced support for SnapVault. SnapVault secondary support enables Data ONTAP Edge to be used as a backup target for other NetApp systems, including another instance of Data ONTAP Edge. These enhanced capabilities together allow for greater flexibility to deploy the enterprise data management and protection benefits of NetApp storage solutions throughout your IT environment.

Some of the many use cases for Data ONTAP Edge include:

1. Remote or Branch offices with limited capacity requirements or IT resources requiring data protection
      2. Space constrained environments where physical storage systems aren’t manageable
      3. Tactical or mobile deployments where data is gathered offsite and later sync’d with central site

You can learn more about some of the innovative ways organizations are deploying Data ONTAP Edge here.

Feel free to “kick the tires” of Data ONTAP Edge, and even experience how a FAS system operates, by trying out an evaluation copy of Data ONTAP Edge-T.

And share with us how deploying Data ONTAP Edge can enhance your business operations.

Comments
on ‎2012-10-10 07:45 AM

Hi Jason

Great to hear VSM has made it to Edge-T. Will try the eval out on our demo environment and let you know if anything crops up.

NetApp Employee on ‎2012-10-10 08:21 AM

Thanks, Ruairi.

Please let us know a little about your experience with the demo.

Best,

Jason

on ‎2012-10-31 10:33 AM

Hello Jason,

Excellent news. Does this mean that ONTAP Edge-T (despite the name Edge) could work independantly without the need for a physical NetApp controller? We have a partner who is keen to deploy this if so to highlight the benefits of NetApp.

Do you know the expect release data for ONTAP Edge-T?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

NetApp Employee on ‎2012-11-01 12:48 PM

Hi Adrian,

Data ONTAP Edge in all of its version is designed with strong integration with NetApp FAS and V-Series storage systems through our integrated data protection features, such as SnapMirror and SnapVault. For Data ONTAP Edge-T, one of the use cases is mobile applications, where the platform can run independent of a connection to another FAS/V-Series subsystem before later backing up or replicating the data.

Regarding the release date, the sotfware will be availale order near the middle of this month..

Best,

Jason

on ‎2012-11-02 03:37 AM

Hello Jason,

Thank you for the prompt response. I had this back from the help desk which I found useful to summarise the two flavours:

• Data ONTAP Edge (Backup)
    Designed for small/remote offices with integrated backup to central data center

• Data ONTAP Edge-T (Replication)
    Designed for small/remote offices or mobile sites with integrated backup and/or replication to central data center

We are hoping to deploy the ONTAP Edge-T version on some DL380's to get a NetApp foot print in there. The customer has already purchased some storage so purchasing a physical NetApp is out of budget/question. Therefore by using the ONTAP Edge-T to re-utilise some existing servers will allow the end user to see the value & benefits of NetApp, hopefully leading them to want a physical NetApp controller in the future.

Thanks again,

Adrian

NetApp Employee on ‎2012-11-02 07:25 AM

Great approach, Adrian.

Data ONTAP Edge offers tremendous value in many ways including using it to introduce customers to our overall value.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Jason

on ‎2012-11-19 07:56 AM

Hello Jason,

Me again just out of curiosity... do you know whether the ONTAP Edge & Edge-T will be supporting Flash Accel and/or Fusion I/O within the servers (or whether it will be in the road map?). I guess it should support Fusion I/O but maybe not fully supported with Flash Accel unless the VMs of Windows based? I was thinking more if a user wanted to deploy a very basic/small VDI environment (or something similar) on the compute layer like in the example above, then they could harness the benefits of the fusion card and potentially create a small entry level VDI/application offering.

What are your thoughts? Do you see any potential demand for this? I know a true solution would be utilising the Netapp controllers, I'm just trying to think of some suggestions for MSE partners looking to break in to the NetApp market.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

NetApp Employee on ‎2012-11-19 08:05 AM

Hi Adrian,

These are good questions. But, this isn't the forum to discuss product futures.

I'd suggest you contact your local NetApp representative first. If you have further questions, he/she can coordinate a call with either me or our product management team.

Best,

Jason

on ‎2013-02-12 01:05 PM

is it possible to cluster dataontap edge VM?

on ‎2013-03-07 04:39 PM

Can DOT Edge-T be configured in an HA Pair or Clustered configuration?  For example, I want two EDGE VSA's on different servers, and if one goes down the VMs can restart on the other VSA.

Thanks.

NetApp Employee on ‎2013-03-08 06:26 AM

Hi Joey,

Sorry for the delay. I missed the notice you had posted a comment.

Data ONTAP Edge / Edge-T operates as a single instance at this time. You can host Edge-T on two different servers and then mirror between the two for a local DR solution.

Best,

Jason

NetApp Employee on ‎2013-03-08 06:30 AM

Hi Scott,

Data ONTAP Edge / Edge-T doesn't offer HA or a clustered configuration at this time. You can put two Edge instances on two different servers and mirror between the two as a local DR solution (we'll be publishing a best practice guide shortly on this configuration). But, that configuratoin doesn't offer an autofailover. If you are looking for a more robust storage solution, then we would recommend a FAS2220 as a starting point for that level of functionality.

Best,

Jason

on ‎2013-03-11 06:28 AM

Hello Scott,

No it cant.... see the ONTAP Edge FAQ (https://fieldportal.netapp.com/DirectLink.aspx?documentID=72648&contentID=75507).

Can I cluster Data ONTAP-v?

Answer: Data ONTAP-v cannot be clustered. Support for backup or replication to a clustered Data ONTAP system will be available in a future release of Data ONTAP Edge.

I hope this helps,

Adrian