By Ronnie Chan, NetApp
Citrix, a long time NetApp technology partner, recently announced ShareFile support for NetApp StorageGRID Webscale. StorageGRID Webscale is an object storage solution that provides an ideal foundation for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing (EFSS) applications. Organizations can now create Citrix ShareFile StorageZones, integrated with S3-compatible on-premise object storage, as part of private or hybrid clouds.
The adoption of EFSS is on the rise, driven by an increasingly collaborative, mobile, and BYOD workforce, but also fueled by concerns about the unsanctioned use of personal cloud services. In particular, deploying EFSS as part of a private or hybrid cloud has become attractive for enterprises concerned about data sovereignty or under tight data security regulations. EFSS software enables access to data at the edge of the enterprise, and this requires a storage architecture that can provide features associated with public clouds; it must be elastic, efficient, and provide always-on access across multiple sites.
To that end, object storage is an ideal storage platform for EFSS solutions:
- An object store functions as a scale-out, multi-site cluster of interconnected nodes
- Object storage is designed to manage unstructured data—documents, spreadsheets, PDFs, emails, images, audio, video, and files—at hyperscale
- Files are stored and managed as objects in a flat namespace and addressed by keys or identifiers, a characteristic that meshes well with EFSS data, as its non-hierarchical nature does not natively conform to a filesystem hierarchy
- Managing data granularly as objects, instead of monolithically as files in a traditional storage volume, works well with EFSS, because the access profile lacks predictability from one file to another
- Object storage delivers high availability and provides built-in redundancy
Find out more about NetApp object storage software and appliances on the StorageGRID Webscale product page, and watch this video for a quick overview of the industry-leading Citrix ShareFile solution.