Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent 5.1 - Use NetApp SMI-S Provider for Hyper-V Hosts Storage Management using SCVMM 2012 R2 (Connecting the Hyper-V hosts to NetApp Storage)

I hope you all enjoyed part 1 and part 2 of my tutorial on how to configure Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent 5.1 - SCVMM integration with VMM Powershell cmdlets and GUI.

In part 3 of my blog, i would demonstrate the steps which will help you to use SMI-S for your day to day Hyper-V hosts storage management activities, i would be continuing this series with a set of 6 micro blogs which covers all the scenarios on using SMI-S for Hyper-V storage management.

So lets start with the first one.

Connecting the Hyper-V hosts to the NetApp Storage using SMI-S

Now that the NetApp Storage has been added to the SMI-S provider, it can be directly managed from SCVMM 2012. The next step is to give access to the Hyper-V hosts to the storage array by creating a iSCSI Session on each Hyper-V host.

Note :- For more details on how to configure Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent 5.1 please refer to part 1 and part 2 of my tutorial

- Open SCVMM console, in the Fabric

- Select the first Hyper-V host in Servers > All Hosts

Right click on the host and select properties, In Storage, click “Add” then select “Add iSCSI Array”

The List of Storage added in the SMI-S Provider will be displayed, select the desired storage and click “Create”

Next you would see that  the iSCSI array shows up , the Hyper-V host has now access to the NAS, and the Storage allocation and provisioning can be done through SCVMM.

Repeat this setting for each Hyper-V Host.

For more details about the iSCSI Session creation, you can refer to Microsoft’s documentation: How to Configure Storage on a Hyper-V Host in VMM: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610696

I hope that you have enjoyed this blog entry  and have found this information helpful.

In my next micro-blog on Hyper-V Host storage management i would be talking about the steps which need to be followed to "Allocate Storage Pool to Hyper-V Host Groups".

Good Luck !

Thanks,

Vinith

Comments

Is there any way to classify the iSCSI disk which is added?  Otherwise it's difficult to create VM Templates which have pre-set storage locations (classifications).  SMB 3.0 shares seem to be able to be classified easily in SCVMM using the Netapp SMI-S provider, but iSCSI is seen as a local device on the host and doesn't seem to be classifiable.