Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent 5.1 - Use NetApp SMI-S Provider to Provision a CIFS Share for SMB 3.0 Environments (Windows Server 2012) using SCVMM 2012 R2

I hope you all enjoyed part 6 of my micro blog tutorial on how to "Create a LUN on the NetApp Storage and Allocate it from SCVMM 2012 R2" . 

In this blog post , i would demonstrate  how can use NetApp SMI-S Provider to Provision a CIFS Share for SMB 3.0 Environments (Windows Server 2012) using SCVMM 2012 R2 also i would mention the steps to increase the CIFS share size as currently SCVMM 2012 R2 GUI console does not support this..

Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 / 8.2.1 supports the Hyper-V over SMB 3.0 feature in Windows Server 2012. Users can now create virtual machines and host them on CIFS shares that are continuously available on the NetApp storage systems. Note that a CIFS Storage Virtual Machine (SVM) (formerly Vserver) must be first created on the NetApp clustered Data ONTAP storage system. The CIFS SVM is then listed as a file server and is available for file share creation.

Note:   If SCVMM discovery fails, or if SCVMM cannot create shares or clones or if CIFS server does not show up in the SCVMM even if it is configured in SVM make sure to check the license status, make sure the licenses have not expired.

CIFS Shares created by SDW are not compatible with SMI-S. SDW creates shares on Volumes. SMIS create/manage shares created on qtree with quota assigned to it. The ACL "everyone" should be removed for such shares to avoid security issues. The access status of shares may not turn green for x minutes after register operation. CIFS server takes a while (few seconds) to apply those ACLs. SCVMM is quick enough to verify if share can be accessed on the host where it is registered and find that the share cannot be accessed on the host, wait 5 minutes and try again. On next verification step, SCVMM discovers that share can be accessed on the host and refreshes the status of the registered shares.

To complete creation of a file share using SCVMM 2012 R2 us the below steps.

In the SCVMM 2012 R2 console, navigate to Fabric > Storage > File server, right-click File Server, and then click Create File Share.

Enter a file share name and its size and click Add.

The file share gets successfully created.

Note: All SMB 3.0 workflows are supported only on clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 and SCVMM 2012 R2.

Note: SMI-S Agent does not expose root volumes, file shares in root volumes, or shares that are mounted to an entire volume.

To create a file share and use it in Windows, NetApp recommends creating the file share in an NTFS-only volume.This is to avoid problems with the credentials that access the file share.

To create the volume with NTFS, enter the following command:

vol create -vserver <vserver_name> -volume <volume_name> -aggregate <aggr_name> -size<volume_size> -security-style ntfs

Note: SCVMM cannot discover storage objects if domain user is used for communication between SMIS and itself; hence, for this communication a CIM server user, which has local administrative rights on the SMI-S Provider should be used. We should always add local user to SMI-S Provider and use that user to communicate with SCVMM.

Note: CIFS Shares created by SnapDrive 7.0 for Windows are not compatible with SMIS. SMI-S Provider has the support to modify the share size, this cannot be done using SCVMM, we can accomplish this using Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit or through Data ONTAP CLI. So, assume that we have two shares listed in SCVMM as shown in the following screenshot.

Let us assume that when we need to increase the share size of cifsshare111 from 40GB to 50GB: First let us retrieve the quota details.

Update the quota with whatever size you want for the share and then wait for 5 minutes. Let us increase it to 50GB.

SMI-S Provider will update its cache with any out of band changes on the filer/SVM every 5 minutes.

Then, do a rescan at SCVMM for the new size to show up.

You can perform the similar steps using Data ONTAP CLI. Assume that when we want to increase a share size from 10MB to 1GB.

On the SVM console, enter the following:

quota policy rule modify -volume mount_test -target testshare -disk-limit 1024MB -vserver share_name -policy-name default -type tree –qtree

Wait 5 minutes for the SMI-S Agent cache to refresh. To view the change, re-scan on SCVMM.

I hope that you have enjoyed this blog entry  and have found this information helpful.

In my next blog i would show you steps on how you can use SMI-S for rapid provisioning of vm's using SCVMM2012R2.

Good Luck!

Thanks,

Vinith

Comments

Perfect Presentation,

Congrats !

HI Vinith,

I'm currently trying to follow these instructions but it doesn't seem to work.  At first it was erroring with the following text in the event log on the vsm CLI " Volume HYP_PROVISIONING has no valid quota rules in quota policy default".  So I added a quota policy rule onto the volume of type tree and with a target of ""

Now when I try and create a share on the storage pool through VMM it errors with the folowing in VMM

Capture.JPG

And this error in the event log on the NetApp storage

5/24/2016 15:42:19 Filer02-06 NOTICE wafl.Qtree.delete.success: Successfully deleted qtree /vol/HYP_PROVISIONING/mini.
5/24/2016 15:42:14 Filer02-06 NOTICE wafl.Qtree.delete.start: Deleting qtree /vol/HYP_PROVISIONING/mini.
5/24/2016 15:41:29 Filer02-02 DEBUG hamsg.connectSucceeded: remoteID="8bacf8dea6a811e2b35b432d59e783af"

Have you got any ideas why this is happening or how I can debug this?  It looks like the qtree gets created as I see messages for it being deleted with no reason.

Chers

Chris