How Pacific Biosciences Manages Data At Scale with Data Fabric

Pacific BiosciencesBy Robert Cox, NetApp & Krishna Subramanian, Komprise

Genome analysis is transforming the world, from finding cures for diseases such as Parkinson’s and Cancer to wildlife conservation and improving the world’s food supply. Pacific Biosciences is accelerating the pace of genomic discovery with a data fabric enabled by NetApp storage and Komprise intelligent data management. Their story highlights the common challenges customers face with today’s scale of data and how to address them.

Plan Capacity Growth and Hybrid Cloud Strategies with Insight

Data is growing fast and IT budgets are tight.  IT has to make key decisions such as how fast/where to adopt the cloud, when/how to adopt new storage technologies, and how to squeeze exploding data growth into flat budgets. This can feel overwhelming.

You know the cloud is there, what the new storage offerings are, you have this need to consolidate on premise. And you have this massive data growth.  You get scared – how am I going to massively manage all of this data?” says Jay Smestad, Sr. Director IT at Pacific Biosciences.

Komprise provides visibility across a customer’s storage infrastructure into their data, how it is growing, and being used. 

“I knew we needed to do something major. I needed to show the CFO how our data was growing, how I was planning to handle it, and the ROI.  What's great is Komprise showed how much data hadn’t been touched in two years, one year, six months, three months, etc. It showed that 60% of the data could actually be moved off to capacity storage, be it object, scale-out, tape or off site to the cloud and the ROI. And, it showed that we had 35% data growth within three months – and I could use it to explain why we needed more money for storage,” said Jay Smestad.

Optimize Data Footprint for Today and the Future

Armed with a plan of how to handle hot and cold data, the next key is to put the plan into action without disrupting user and application access.  Since this data is strewn across millions of files, thousands of folders, multiple storage servers and namespaces, a cross-storage policy-based automation solution is needed, along with robust storage choices for both performance and capacity. 

Fit for function. It's very much a theme that's with any storage director or any time you're looking at anything. How can I put data based on the SLA it requires instead of where users put it?  How can I have the flexibility to move things to different storage options without lock-in and have a global view across all my storage?  Komprise gives us that single pane of glass where I can see what the costs are, where the data is at, and be able to manage that from a single place and it's easy to use.  We standardized on NetApp storage because it offers the most flexibility on a proven platform, with primary storage on NetApp FAS systems and ultra-dense archive on E-Series.  NetApp understands we want choice, and is delivering on the vision of the data fabric;both through their broad storage portfolio and integration with partners like Komprise,” said Jay Smestad

Accelerate Business with Big Data

As data growth continues to explode, planning for the future and finding ways to glean relevant information easily from data across on premise and cloud data stores becomes important.  Komprise integrates with NetApp StorageGRID Webscale object storage to make tagging and finding data faster and easier, providing new ways to search, find and gain insights from relevant data.

“We're talking about having users being able to find data. How do you find data when you have six, ten, hundred petabytes? That becomes really hard. How do you have the flexibility to move things to cloud and back?  You need something to do that – you need massive scale data management,” said Jay Smestad.

Managing data efficiently at scale is becoming key as data footprint continues to grow.  To see how Komprise and NetApp can help in your environment, sign up for a free trial and ROI assessment.