How To: Access NetApp Tools from Windows Server Manager

Follow these quick steps and you will be able to access the NetApp tools you have installed on your Windows Server from the Server Manager Tools menu.

1. Make sure you are a member of the Administrators group.
  2. Create a NetApp Tools folder on the desktop of the Windows Server machine you want to use.
  3. Hit the Windows Key to get to the Start screen.
  4. Find any of your NetApp application icons (eg. SnapDrive) and right-click, this will open up the Start screen bottom charm bar.
  5. Click Open file location, this will open up the install location for NetApp applications. You should see an Explorer window that looks like this.
  6. Select all of the shortcut icons and copy them to the NetApp Tools folder on the desktop. Note: Copy them, don’t move them. By default it will perform a move operation so be sure to right-click copy or drag-n-copy + CTRL to mouse copy.
  7. Repeat Steps 2 – 6 to create other folders with specific tools or applications that you might want.
  8. Open Administrative Tools from Control Panel.
  9. Drag-n-drop the NetApp Tools folder (and other folders if you created them) into the Administrative Tools folder. Note: You cannot create new folders in the Administrative Tools folder you need to move or copy them in.
  10. Close the Administrative Tools folder.
  11. Open Server Manager, click Tools menu and see NetApp Tools and any other custom folders with tools you created show up.

Don’t like following steps watch this video walk-through.

Video Link : 3400

Enjoy! 

@NaSharePointGuy

Comments

Love it and I think it's charming how we get to feel excited about developing our Windows environments to act like they did in Program Manager back in Windows for Workgroups 3.11 !  I'm not being cynical either! 

rbarker Former NetApp Employee

Hi Cowboyneal65 -

Not quite sure I follow your comment about Program Manager and WFW but all my post illustrates is a way for Windows Server Administrators to gain access to NetApp software from the Server Manager without going to the Start screen, Searching, or using Taskbar shortcuts. It also shows how you can add whatever application you want into that menu system for quick access. Not sure how this seems like the days of WFW 3.11/DOS 6.22 with MDI, 16-bit thunking and single-threadedness.

@NaSharePointGuy