Increasing SnapDrive for Windows Timeout

I was working on a lab earlier today and ran into an issue that required me to increase the default timeout value for SnapDrive, so I figured I'd share the steps. By default SnapDrive's default timeout value is 30 seconds. The reason I needed to change this timeout value was due to the fact my Clustered ONTAP simulators where taking longer to start-up than my hosts which were connecting to those simulators; so by increasing the timeout value SnapDrive waited longer until the simulators came online and presented the LUNs for connectivity.

Follow these steps to change the default timeout value.

1. In the Registry Editor, locate, and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
  2. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value. In the right pane of Registry Editor, notice that New Value #1 (the name of a new registry entry) is selected for editing.
  3. Type ServicesPipeTimeout to replace New Value #1, and then press ENTER.
  4. Right-click the ServicesPipeTimeout registry entry that you created in step 3, and then click Modify. The Edit DWORD Value dialog box appears.
  5. In the Value data text box, type <Milliseconds>, and then click OK. The <Milliseconds> is a placeholder for the value of the time-out period that you want to set for the service. For example, if you want to set the time-out period to 24 hours (86400000 milliseconds), type 86400000.
  6. Restart the computer. You must restart the computer for Service Control Manager to apply this change.

Note: This is not something to just implement without proper investigation.

Happy Snapping,

Barkz