Community

Is 2014 The Breakout Year for Desktop Virtualization?

As IT organizations are faced with BYOD initiatives, growing global workforces, and the need to provide employees 24x7 access to data and applications, they are increasingly looking to desktop virtualization to meet the demands for flexibility and responsiveness.

Infrastructure solutions supporting desktop virtualization environments must be flexible and keep per-desktop costs low -- without compromising performance, availability and scale, according to IDC, which stresses that the storage solution is "the most consequential part of the physical infrastructure" for desktop virtualization. Cisco, Citrix, and NetApp have been working together to help customers understand how they can manage this transition.

FlexPod validated designs which include NetApp storage, Cisco Unified Computing SystemTM (Cisco UCS®) servers, and Cisco Nexus® fabric components are a perfect infrastructure for desktop virtualization projects. Implementing Citrix desktop virtualization on a FlexPod platform can translate to significantly faster deployment times, as much as 50% faster than traditional methods, according to customers. FlexPod can be scaled up for on-demand growth, or scaled out and replicated when multiple consistent infrastructure configurations are needed. For Citrix deployments, FlexPod offers predictable performance in a scalable and repeatable building block, backed by cooperative support.

We’ve shared the first two of three webinars discussing both how to take the cost (and guesswork) out of desktop deployments and a more detailed discussion on the FlexPod architecture. These panel discussions with experts from Cisco, Citrix and NetApp (Mike Brennan, Kevin Strohmeyer, and Adam Fore, respectively) are outstanding resources and are available on demand.

On March 27, we’ll be sharing our latest installment of the series, focusing on the latest FlexPod validated design, which Frank Anderson blogged about here. This webcast dives deep on FlexPod and the typical environments our customers are implementing, including a mixed delivery model approach leveraging both traditional VDI (Hosted Virtual Desktops / HVD) along with Hosted Shared Desktops based on XenApp. Cisco’s Tony Paikeday does a great job breaking down this upcoming webinar, and provides links to some other great content on this topic.

If you’d like to join this webcast to discover how the validated design of FlexPod® Datacenter with Citrix XenDesktop works to remove the bottlenecks to desktop virtualization and reduce infrastructure, operations, and deployment costs, go here.

Comments
on ‎2014-03-21 10:51 AM

I totally agree with you here: desktop virtualization is CRUCIAL and will become even more crucial as more companies move to a mixed computer hardware and operating system environment.

I personally use Parallels (http://www.parallels.com) as my own personal tool to run Windows on my Macbook Air and have had no issues with their product. Have heard that VMware certainly is giving them a run for their money with their own product though.

The nice thing about this space is: just about every solution has a nice, sizable free trial. So definitely worth to test multiple tools to see which fits best.

NetApp Employee on ‎2014-03-21 02:56 PM

Thanks for the comment and sharing what you're using. I think if we can help keep costs low, while providing a better end user experience, adoption will increase.