Mercy: My Pick for the Winner of the 2016 Innovation Awards

By Steven Cortez, Senior Systems Administrator, NetApp A-Team member

If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that I’m a huge FAS fanboy. I’ve been a NetApp customer for something like 15 years, so for me, All Flash FAS is the same car I already know how to drive, but with a beefier engine under the hood. It’s faster, more efficient, and helps me do my job a lot easier. So when I was trying to decide who to vote for as this year’s Innovation Award winner, I was already biased towards Mercy as a fellow devotee of All Flash FAS. But Mercy’s history with NetApp goes back even further than that.

When I first saw Mercy on the list, I was reminded of a story from a couple months back about how its primary hospital in Joplin, Missouri was destroyed by a tornado. Because the hospital had replicated its storage across its sites using NetApp, other Mercy hospitals—and the 183 Mercy hospital patients in Joplin—were able to continue accessing the data and medical records they needed without skipping a beat. Because of NetApp efficiency features like SnapMirror, inline deduplication, and compression, Mercy was able to transmit data over ad-hoc networks made up of WiFi and cellular infrastructure, allowing the hospital to start up a backup location in almost real-time—with zero loss of data.

Fast forward to today. The way that Mercy is leveraging the firepower of All Flash FAS to cut $3 million dollars out of its budget is yet another example of the insane performance that NetApp flash provides. The proven, tested technology behind All Flash FAS gives Mercy the ability to do analytics with its Epic EHR solution in near real time, which means the hospital can help patients faster, particularly in rural areas. Those same NetApp efficiency features that helped Mercy weather the tornado back in 2011 are today helping the organization to overhaul its analytics operations and do more with less—a lot less.

Watch the video to see for yourself why Mercy should win this year’s Innovation Award. And don’t forget to vote!

---

pic blog.pngSteven Cortez

@mscproductions
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mstevencortez   

Steven is a Senior Systems Administrator based in Greensboro, North Carolina. Steven’s key responsibilities include system architecture and implementation, product development, and project planning and coordination.

Stats
⦁    Years of NetApp experience: 19
⦁    Certifications include: NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 Administration; NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 Data Protection; VMware Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage v6.0; and VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage v6.0