NetApp FAS6200 Gets Performance and I/O Connectivity Boost

In this video Nathan Moffitt and Jon Jacob (NetApp) provide details about the recent enhancements to the FAS6200 product line while Darryl Meidinger (Univita) shares his thoughts about NetApp FAS6200 systems and the role of IT in his company.

on ‎2013-02-24 09:00 PM

Isn't the FAS6220 just the FAS6240 in a single chassis configuration -- without the PCIe expansion and the same limits as the 6210s? What is the performance difference between the 6220 and 6240 ? Also was is the performance difference between the 6240 and 6250? Also the 6290 seems to be the same box as the 6280? I am curious to see if this just a marketing exercise playing with the names and SKUs versus real innovation.

NetApp Employee on ‎2013-02-27 08:52 PM

Thanks for your questions. To answer them, let’s start with the new positioning across the FAS6200 family:

• FAS6290 replaces the FAS6280
  • FAS6250 replaces the FAS6240
  • FAS6220 replaces the FAS6210

The FAS6210/20 isn’t a single chassis HA config of the FAS6240/50. The 6240/50 have a number of key differences:

• more performance from higher level processors and more memory
  • extra performance acceleration from higher amounts of Flash Cache & Flash Pool that can be configured with the system
  • greater expandability with more I/O slots (the PCIe expansion module that you pointed out)
  • more scalability in number of PB of storage that can be attached

Performance differences between models can really vary based on the workload you’re running. The additional memory in the 6220 and 6250 models will give more performance for memory intensive applications. I recommend you talk with your NetApp partner or sales representative to look into the performance gains for your specific environment.

The 6280 is designed with a strong combination of processor and memory to deliver leading performance for this class of platforms. What we noticed is that customers are adding I/O for backend connectivity because the FAS6280 is able to deliver the IOPS needed for enterprise workloads without sacrificing capacity. So we included additional I/O connectivity in the base config for the 6290. This is especially valuable for the larger customer configs and clusters that we’re seeing with our high-end models.

The 6200 family with Data ONTAP operating system is optimized for Flash and clustering, and over the past few quarters we’ve rolled out significant updates to ONTAP and our Flash portfolio. Clustered ONTAP delivers nondisruptive operations, with no planned downtime for routine maintenance, upgrades, and system refreshes – and your IT staff can service the systems anytime instead of scheduling it for the weekend. Plus we have the broadest flash portfolio (Flash Pool and Flash Accel, to go along with Flash Cache) – you can choose the best approach for accelerating your workloads.

So there’s a lot of innovation going on in the FAS6200 platform. Check out the FAS6200 Web page and the FAS6200 data sheet for additional details and tech specs.