IDC’s “Marketscape: Worldwide Scale-out File-Based Storage System 2012 Vendor Analysis” (doc #238923, December 2012) study assesses the capabilities and business strategies of leading vendors in the scale-out file-based storage market. Vendors were selected based on their capabilities to provide an appliance-based scale-out file-based storage solution, which features a distributed or scalable or clustered file system at the core. The evaluation was based on a comprehensive framework and a set of parameters that gauge the success of a vendor to be successful in delivering a scale-out file-based storage solution in the market.
This study included a total of 10 vendors in the scale-out file-based storage space.
IDC wrote the following about NetApp.
“IDC views NetApp's marketing, vision, and road map execution among the strongest in the industry.
The company also has a strong cash position to make acquisitions where and when necessary. NetApp's acquisition of CacheIQ is proof that the company is still open to other options. NetApp is also very active in strategic alliances with major players like Cisco, VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix. It has gone further than its competition in publishing best practices design guides with software vendors such as Oracle, SAP, Cisco, Microsoft, and VMware.”
“Partners mostly drive NetApp's sales across regions offering a strong coverage for the company and its products. Bundled software and storage efficiency features at a much lower price point than EMC has been key for NetApp's success. NetApp also heavily leverages its partner network to offer consulting, data migration, transformation, optimization, and other value-added services wrapped around NetApp's storage. Even today, NetApp uses customer satisfaction as a major tool for generating further sales. NetApp's retention rates are high, and new customer wins have been relentlessly ramping up for years. It is adopting the same approach with its clustered storage solution. So far it has been successful at it.”
NetApp is a Leader in the IDC MarketScape study.
Download the report: http://www.netapp.com/us/media/ar-idc-file-based-s
This blog is part of a series on clustered Data ONTAP.
Data ONTAP 8.1 blog series:
- Why Scale-Out & What’s New
- Unified Scale-Out – What’s Supported & Why It’s Unique
- Nondisruptive Operations – What Does it Mean?
- Enterprise Ready Data ONTAP 8 Cluster-Mode
- What’s Included In A Cluster Configuration
- Data ONTAP 8 Clustering – Multitenancy Designed In
- ESG Lab Validation of Data ONTAP 8.1 Unified Clustering
- Storage Monitoring Made Easy: A Video Demonstration of Data ONTAP 8 Clustering
- Data ONTAP Unified (SAN and NAS) Cluster Benchmark Performance
- Announcing Data ONTAP 8.1.1 operating in Cluster-Mode
- PeakColo Guarantees 100% SLA for the Cloud with Data ONTAP 8 Clustering
- Do You Prefer Your IOPs Without Your Extra Latency
- Finding a Needle in 20 Million Haystacks – a Clustering Success Story
- Eliminating Planned Downtime